Vectors - show that the lines intersect

In summary: No, use of the dot- and cross-product operations are not considered pre-calculus. However, this technique can be applied to more complicated problems.
smn
Hi, I'm currently revising for a maths exam and I'm stuck on the following question:

Show that the lines:

r = (i+j+k) + s(i+2j+3k)

r = (4i+6j+5k) + t(2i+3j+k)

Intersect.

My work so far:

Let (i+j+k) + s(i+2j+3k) = (4i+6j+5k) + t(2i+3j+k)

So (i) 1+s = 4+2t

(j) 1+2s = 6+3t

(k) 1+3s = 5+t

I'm unsure where to go from here, any help would be appreciated.

Regards

smn

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to find values for s and t and show that they satisfy all three vector component equations (i,j & k)

~H

So, you have three equations that must be satisfied for an intersection.
Is there a pair of values (s,t) that satisfies all three equations simultaneously?

[Try using, say, equation (i) with equation (j), then the result with (k) etc...] Once you determine a pair (s,t), check that it satisfies each equation.

Well, if they intersect, then they must by necessity have a point in common. You started on that above. If they have a point in common, what can you say about possible solutions to the system of equations you found?

Thanks for the prompt replys.

I realize that you have to solve for s and t and these values should equal if the lines intersect.

I was unsure what to do next with the 3 equations in order to solve for s and t.
I'm now going to try using simultaneous equations, as mentioned, to try and solve for s and t.

Regards

smn

smn said:
I'm now going to try using simultaneous equations, as mentioned, to try and solve for s and t.

That's the way to go!

~H

You have two variables s and t. You should be able solve two of the equations for them. Do those two values also satisfy the third equation?

Yes, i worked out that s=1 and t= -1. I then sub'd these values into the 3rd equation and it satisfied this also ( 4=4).

Thanks for all your help

Regards

Sam

Now, the follow-up question...
can you show that there exists an intersection WITHOUT solving explicitly for s and t?

Using pre-calculus methods? Only way I can think of is to show they are coplanar and not parallel.

daveb said:
Using pre-calculus methods? Only way I can think of is to show they are coplanar and not parallel.

Are use of the dot- and cross-product operations considered pre-calculus?
Note that the OP has already written lines in parametric vector form:
[tex]\vec A=\vec A_0 + s\vec U [/tex]
[tex]\vec B=\vec B_0 + t\vec V [/tex]
which is already somewhat advanced by introductory standards.

It wan't when I was in HS, but that was back in the late 70s.

1. How do I show that two lines intersect using vectors?

To show that two lines intersect, you can use the vector equation of each line and solve for the point of intersection. This can be done by setting the two equations equal to each other and solving for the variables.

2. What is the vector equation of a line?

The vector equation of a line is a mathematical representation of a line using vectors instead of traditional x and y coordinates. It is written as r = a + tb, where r is the position vector of a point on the line, a is the position vector of any point on the line, and b is the direction vector of the line.

3. Can two lines that are parallel intersect?

No, two lines that are parallel can never intersect. This is because parallel lines have the same slope, and therefore, will never cross or intersect at any point.

4. How many solutions are there when solving for the point of intersection of two lines with the same slope?

If two lines have the same slope, they are either the same line (have infinitely many points of intersection) or are parallel (have no points of intersection). Therefore, there are either infinitely many solutions or no solutions.

5. What are some real-life applications of using vector equations to show that lines intersect?

Vector equations are commonly used in physics and engineering to represent the movement and direction of objects. For example, in a traffic accident investigation, vector equations can be used to determine the point of impact between two vehicles. They are also used in computer graphics to create 3D images and animations.