Why Does Theoretical Pressure Exceed Empirical Values in Hail Cannon Designs?

In summary, the conversation discusses a design project involving a hail cannon and the difficulties in calculating the theoretical pressure needed to propel ice balls at a certain velocity. The use of Bernoulli's equation is suggested, but it is pointed out that it may not be accurate due to the rapid expansion of gas and the varying orifice of the valve. Other variables, such as the shape and deformation of the hail balls, also make it challenging to accurately model the pressure. Suggestions for equations and further assistance are requested.
mpm
This isn't a homework question; however, it is probably similar to one.

I am doing a design project that involves a hail cannon. Basically I have created an air gun that propels ice balls.

I have a compressed air tank, with an electronic quick release valve and then a barrel made of PVC.

My question is this,

I have tested the gun with different size hail. I have a chronograph to measure velocity, and I have a pressure gauge in the air tank. We tested different air pressures until we found one that resulted in a particular velocity. (In this case its the terminal velocity of falling hail.)

Anyway, I now have to calculate what these pressures should be theoretically. I've tried using Bernoulli's equation with little luck. I get answers but the theoretical pressures come out higher than the empirical pressures. Obvsiously this is impossible, so either I'm doing it wrong or I'm not seeing the over all picture.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on what equation I can use or maybe where to start.

For the record, empirically we have 6.5psi shoots .5" diameter hail at a velocity we want. When doing it theoretically, the same diameter hail shoots the same velocity at 9.5 psi.

Hence the reason why I think I am going wrong somewhere.

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not my area of expertise but from what I remember Bernoulli's equation gives the velocity of the fluid that is flowing not the object it may be pushing. In this case I would recommend using Force= pressure x area and work out the impulse on the hale that you are firing. Impulse is the change in momentum of a particle caused by the force, so I guess you know how long the jet of air acts upon the hail and you'd have an equation something like.

P x A x T = m x v

Where T is the time the force is acting m is the mass and A is the area its acting upon. Anyway like i say this is not my area of expertise but maybe posting first might get the ball rolling on more replies.

Good luck!

I actually have experience with a large compressed air gun, shooting hail balls at jet engines.

The situation is rather complex for a few reasons. First, you are dealing with a rapid expansion of the gas. It is hardly steady state and incompressible and good luck finding a streamline, which throws Bernoulli right out the widow. Secondly, you are expanding across a time varying orifice (your valve). Next, you have the inconsistancies of your hail ball and the leakage of the compressed air around the hail ball. Also, unless you have a high speed camera, chances are you are deforming your hail balls during the shot, so you can't rely on the idea of having a sphere or whatever shape you started with.

Honestly, I think that your 9.5 psi guess isn't too bad considering what you have to deal with. I know the percentage difference sucks, but this is not an easy thing to solve. There are a lot of variables involved.

Perhaps if Clausius or Brewnog see this thread they will comment as well.

So am I to assume that the pressure needed to propel the ice a certain velocity cannot be solved theoretically without taking a long time to do?

My professor wants me to do it, but I don't know if it can be done. I have talked to 2 other professors who haven't lead me in the right direction yet. I'm starting to think it can't be modeled because of so many assumptions and variables.

At least in my opinion, if it can be modeled, I don't see how it can be that accurate.

I used P-Po = 1/2*rho*V^2

However, I think I am wrong because I used the density of ice and the velocity it needs to travel. This is part of Bernoulli's equation and that is for fluid flow. Ice obviously isn't a fluid so I think this would be wrong to use. Also when I graph several velocities, the graph is way off.

Any more help would be appreciated.

What is your terminal velocity for the hail?

1. What is the relationship between pressure and velocity in a fluid?

The relationship between pressure and velocity in a fluid is described by Bernoulli's principle, which states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases. This means that in areas of faster fluid flow, the pressure will be lower compared to areas of slower fluid flow.

2. How does the shape of an object affect the pressure and velocity of a fluid?

The shape of an object can greatly affect the pressure and velocity of a fluid. The shape of an object can cause the fluid to change direction, creating differences in velocity and pressure. For example, a curved object can cause the fluid to accelerate, resulting in lower pressure on the curved side and higher pressure on the flat side.

3. What is the difference between static and dynamic pressure in a fluid?

Static pressure is the pressure exerted by a fluid at rest. It is the same in all directions and does not change unless an external force is applied. Dynamic pressure, on the other hand, is the pressure exerted by a fluid in motion. It is caused by the movement of the fluid and is not the same in all directions.

4. How does altitude affect pressure and velocity in a fluid?

As altitude increases, the pressure in a fluid will decrease due to the decrease in air density. This means that the velocity of a fluid will increase at higher altitudes since there is less resistance from the surrounding air. This is why airplanes and other flying objects can travel faster at higher altitudes.

5. What are some real-world applications of the pressure vs. velocity problem?

The pressure vs. velocity problem has many real-world applications, including in aerodynamics, hydraulics, and fluid dynamics. It is used to study the flow of liquids and gases in pipes, pumps, and turbines, and is also important in the design of airplanes, cars, and other vehicles. Additionally, understanding this problem is crucial in predicting the behavior of weather patterns and ocean currents.