What is the inverse of A?

I hope that helps!In summary, the conversation discusses finding the inverse of a matrix A, with the help of a book and a website providing a formula and a method for finding the inverse. The formula involves using row operations and solving linear equations, while the method involves using a partitioned matrix. The conversation also touches on understanding the concept of taking the inverse of a matrix.
lakitu
hi there would anyone be able to give me a link or guidence as how i would go about finding the inverse of A? I have a book that tells me add subtract and multiply.

the question is this: find the inverse of A

A =

(19 81)
(2 10)

sorry for the crude matrices. any help would be great :)

lakitu

Physics news on Phys.org
there is a trick for finding the inverse of a 2x2 matrix
[tex]A=\left( \begin{array}{cc} a & b \\
c & d \end{array} \right)[/tex]
then
[tex]A^{-1}=\frac{1}{ad-bc}\left( \begin{array}{cc} d & -b \\
-c & a \end{array} \right)[/tex]
provided ad-bc is not equal to zero
hope that helps

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/mtrxinvr.htm"

halfway down is how i usually find matrices. always works, so that's what i use.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for your comments :)

If your book is telling you "add, subtract, and multiply" (hey, that's how you solve any mathematics problem!:rolleyes: ) then go back and read over exactly what you add and subtract and what you multiply by. I suspect that your book is talking about "row operations"- that's what Gale's website is talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before rushing off to a formula or procedure, it might be helpful to understand what you are trying to do when determining the inverse of a matrix.

Given a square matrix [tex]A=\left( \begin{array}{cc} a & b \\
c & d \end{array} \right)[/tex],
its inverse [if it exists] is another square matrix [tex]A^{-1}=\left( \begin{array}{cc} p & q \\
r & s \end{array} \right)[/tex] such that the matrix product is the identity matrix.

[tex]
\begin{align*}
AA^{-1}&=I\\
\left( \begin{array}{cc} a & b \\
c & d \end{array} \right)
\left( \begin{array}{cc} p & q \\
r & s \end{array} \right)
&=
\left( \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\
0 & 1\end{array} \right)
\end{align*}
[/tex]
If you carry out the matrix multiplication, you should find a simple system of four linear equations in four unknowns... "simple" because it's really a pair of systems of two linear equations in two unknowns. You can easily solve these systems to obtain the formula given by vladimir69 above.
(In addition, the inverse would satisfy [tex]A^{-1}A&=I[/tex] as well.)

Of course, if you have a 3 by 3 or 5 by 5 matrix, so that your system is 9 equation in 9 unknowns or 25 equations in 25 unknowns, you might find robphy's method a bit tedious! I think it's worth learning row reduction.

vladimir69 said:
there is a trick for finding the inverse of a 2x2 matrix
[tex]A=\left( \begin{array}{cc} a & b \\
c & d \end{array} \right)[/tex]
then
[tex]A^{-1}=\frac{1}{ad-bc}\left( \begin{array}{cc} d & -b \\
-c & a \end{array} \right)[/tex]
provided ad-bc is not equal to zero
hope that helps
i think it's a bit more trickier than just plain trick, it's actually a theorem.

HallsofIvy said:
Of course, if you have a 3 by 3 or 5 by 5 matrix, so that your system is 9 equation in 9 unknowns or 25 equations in 25 unknowns, you might find robphy's method a bit tedious! I think it's worth learning row reduction.

Agreed!... assuming one first understands what it means to take the inverse of a matrix.

This is how I like to think of it. If this doesn't make sense to you, feel free to forget about it so you don't get confused!

We start off with the partitioned matrix:

[A : I]

which has the property that: (the left matrix) = (the right matrix) * A. In particular, A = I*A.

Now, if we do row operations, we will get some other partitioned matrix:

[B : C]

which still has the property that: (the left matrix) = (the right matrix) * A. In particular, B = C*A

If we fully row-reduce the left hand side, we get the partitioned matrix:

[I : V]

which still has the property that (the left matrix) = (the right matrix) * A. In particular, I = V*A, and therefore V is the inverse of A.

1. What are inverse matrices?

Inverse matrices are matrices that when multiplied together, result in an identity matrix. They are essentially the "opposite" of a given matrix.

2. Why are inverse matrices important?

Inverse matrices are important because they allow us to solve systems of linear equations, which are used in many scientific and mathematical applications. They also have applications in computer graphics and cryptography.

3. How do you find the inverse of a matrix?

To find the inverse of a matrix, you can use the Gauss-Jordan elimination method or the adjugate matrix method. Both methods involve performing a series of mathematical operations on the matrix to transform it into its inverse.

4. Can every matrix have an inverse?

No, not every matrix has an inverse. A matrix must be square (equal number of rows and columns) and have a non-zero determinant in order to have an inverse. If a matrix does not meet these criteria, it is said to be singular and does not have an inverse.

5. What is the significance of the determinant in finding inverse matrices?

The determinant plays a crucial role in finding the inverse of a matrix. It is used to determine if a matrix has an inverse and is also used in the calculation of the inverse using the adjugate matrix method.