Composites: behavior of solid propellants

In summary, "Particulate Composite Materials: Structural Behavior and Properties" by Xishan and Hu is a valuable resource for understanding the mechanical and structural properties of particulate composite materials.
Xishan
Hello everybody! Can anyone tell me about some books on Mechanical/Structural behavior/Properties of Particulate Composite Materials? I would highly appreciate anything that is offered free on the net but If you can tell me about some good books to buy I will surely like that too... posted it on the other forum but didn't get a reply. Waiting for some good suggestions

Actually I'm studying about Composite Solid Propellants and need to know how much effect their composite nature has on the structural behavior. Most references take them as homogeneous visco elastic materials for stress analysis. In case of tensile stresses I too consider it to be the same but I'm a bit confused about the case of compressive stresses... because here the high percentage of solid particles must affect physical behavior. comments pls

Xishan

Engineering news on Phys.org
, W. and Hu, Y. (2010). Particulate Composite Materials: Structural Behavior and Properties. CRC Press.

This book provides a comprehensive overview of constitutive models for the mechanical properties of particulate composite materials. It describes the structural behavior and properties of particulate composites including the micromechanics of composite materials, thermomechanical analysis of composites, and the mechanical behavior of particulate composites under different loading conditions. It also discusses the fracture and fatigue behavior of particulate composites.

Thank you for your question. I recommend checking out the book "Mechanical Behavior of Particulate Systems" by T. C. Huang and S. Nemat-Nasser. This book covers the mechanical behavior and properties of particulate composite materials, including their response to tensile, compressive, and shear stresses. Another good resource is "Composite Materials: Mechanical Behavior and Structural Analysis" by Daniel Gay and Stephen W. Tsai. This book discusses the mechanical behavior and analysis of composite materials, including their behavior under various loading conditions. Both of these books should provide valuable insights and information for your studies on composite solid propellants. Additionally, you may want to search for research papers and articles on the specific propellant materials you are studying, as these may provide more specific information and data on their behavior under different stress conditions. Good luck with your studies!

What are composites and how are they used in solid propellants?

Composites are materials made up of two or more different substances that have different physical or chemical properties. In solid propellants, composites are used to improve the overall performance and stability of the propellant.

What factors influence the behavior of solid propellants?

The behavior of solid propellants is influenced by various factors such as the chemical composition, physical structure, and processing parameters used to create the propellant. The environmental conditions, such as temperature and pressure, also play a role in the behavior of solid propellants.

How do composites affect the burning rate of solid propellants?

Composites can affect the burning rate of solid propellants by altering the thermal conductivity, mechanical strength, and surface area of the propellant. These properties can impact the heat transfer and gas generation rates during combustion, ultimately affecting the burning rate.

What are the main challenges in studying the behavior of composites in solid propellants?

One of the main challenges in studying the behavior of composites in solid propellants is the complex nature of these materials, which can make it difficult to accurately predict their behavior. Additionally, the high temperatures and pressures involved in combustion make it challenging to observe and measure the behavior of composites in real-time.

How can the behavior of composites in solid propellants be optimized?

The behavior of composites in solid propellants can be optimized through careful selection of materials, processing techniques, and environmental conditions. Computational modeling and experimental testing can also be used to optimize the performance and stability of solid propellants containing composites.