Cooker broke after lightning storm

In summary, a cooker is malfunctioning due to a recent lightning storm, causing the timer to constantly go off and making it difficult to cook. The buttons on the cooker, including the timer, have been tried in various combinations to no avail. Some forum members offer jokes and suggestions, including unplugging the cooker and bypassing the timer. However, the cooker owner is now contemplating disassembling the cooker in order to trace the wires, which are all black and difficult to follow. In the end, it is suggested that cookers should be designed by bomb makers.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
:grumpy: Ever since a lightning storm (last week) my cooker will not go for more than 5 minutes, i set the power and 5 minutes later it sounds an alarm,
now i know it has a timer on it but i can not get it to disengage, the buttons i have are, minut minder, cook period, end time, manual, - and +, i have tried
all sorts of combinations but i can not kill the ***** alarm, and it is taking ages to cook any thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
:grumpy: Ever since a lightning storm (last week) my cooker will not go for more than 5 minutes, i set the power and 5 minutes later it sounds an alarm,
now i know it has a timer on it but i can not get it to disengage, the buttons i have are, minut minder, cook period, end time, manual, - and +, i have tried
all sorts of combinations but i can not kill the ***** alarm, and it is taking ages to cook any thing.
It's obvious your cooker is now hovering between two dimensions. I think I saw a show about something similar on the Outer Limits. I'd worry about eating anything out of it, you could start to "phaze" into another dimension. :bugeye:

Evo said:
It's obvious your cooker is now hovering between two dimensions. I think I saw a show about something similar on the Outer Limits. I'd worry about eating anything out of it, you could start to "phaze" into another dimension. :bugeye:

Now you mention it i do get light headed when i am cooking, and there are these rumbling sounds :uhh:

So there is no cooker experts here ?? it is a good cooker when it works.

Man i love wolram's posts

Last edited:
wolfram? :bugeye:Is there any joke in that that I'm missing?
I thought pengwuino is an expert in everything regarded to food and eating...

Lisa! said:

What are you on? :biggrin:

Im an expert in everything regarding eating... food on hte other hand..

Lisa! said:

I am usually good at fixing stuff but not domestic stuff, no jokes, the hob still works so i do not want to make things worse, there must be a sequence to press the buttons in.

wolram said:
I am usually good at fixing stuff but not domestic stuff, no jokes, the hob still works so i do not want to make things worse, there must be a sequence to press the buttons in.
I guess you have unplugged it and let it sit for awhile?

Evo said:
I guess you have unplugged it and let it sit for awhile?
Yep, it must have lost power for maybe an hour when the storm struck, now it seems to be stuck in timer mode.

wolram said:
Yep, it must have lost power for maybe an hour when the storm struck, now it seems to be stuck in timer mode.
Have you tried unplugging it again? Sounds like some of the circuitry is fried though. :frown:

Evo said:
Have you tried unplugging it again? Sounds like some of the circuitry is fried though. :frown:

I am thinking the same, so i will be bringing some wire ect from work and start bypassing stuff until it does some thing, who needs a timer any way.

Here, the term 'cooker' implies a crockpot or steamer unit. What is it that you're referring to? Microwave, electric oven, hotplate...? And I have no idea what a 'hob' is. :confused:

Danger said:
Here, the term 'cooker' implies a crockpot or steamer unit. What is it that you're referring to? Microwave, electric oven, hotplate...? And I have no idea what a 'hob' is. :confused:

Danger it is an electric oven.

Ah... should be quite simple to bypass the timer, then. Spring the half-quid or whatever for a little mechanical egg-timer if you don't have an alarm on your watch. :biggrin:

Danger said:
And I have no idea what a 'hob' is. :confused:
Well, it's the thing you "knob" with of course. :biggrin:

From Wollie's other kitchen disaster thread (he's starting to sound like Pengwuino), I've deduced that a hob is likely the stovetop burners, while the cooker is the oven part. Still waiting for the English to English dictionary to help interpret these threads.

Moonbear said:
Well, it's the thing you "knob" with of course. :biggrin:

From Wollie's other kitchen disaster thread (he's starting to sound like Pengwuino), I've deduced that a hob is likely the stovetop burners, while the cooker is the oven part. Still waiting for the English to English dictionary to help interpret these threads.

You, do not need it MoonB:smile: And what other kitchen disaster:confused:

Oh, the fryer, that was just a hiccup.

wolram said:
Oh, the fryer, that was just a hiccup.
That's not what your mom said. :biggrin: But, yeah, that's what I was referring to.

Ok, on tv, when some one (the hero) is dis arming a bomb, there is all ways a guy on a radio telling him whitch wire to cut first, second, etc, every bomb ever made has a coded blue print, (why), any way the wires to the control
(detonation circuit) in my cooker are all efing black:grumpy: and they go in diverse directions, so to trace them i would have to disemble the whole*****cooker, cookers should be designed by bomb makers :grumpy:

wolram said:
Ok, on tv, when some one (the hero) is dis arming a bomb, there is all ways a guy on a radio telling him whitch wire to cut first, second, etc, every bomb ever made has a coded blue print, (why), any way the wires to the control
(detonation circuit) in my cooker are all efing black:grumpy: and they go in diverse directions, so to trace them i would have to disemble the whole*****cooker, cookers should be designed by bomb makers :grumpy:
:rofl: Or maybe bombs should be designed by cooker makers. :rofl:

Pengwuino said:
What are you on? :biggrin:
hmmm...your previous post isn't editted at all!o:)

1. What could have caused my cooker to break after a lightning storm?

Lightning strikes can cause power surges that can damage electrical appliances such as cookers. It is possible that your cooker was hit by a power surge during the lightning storm, causing it to break.

2. Is it safe to continue using my cooker after it broke during a lightning storm?

It is not recommended to use your cooker after it has been damaged by a lightning strike. There may be hidden damages that could pose a safety hazard. It is best to have it inspected by a professional before using it again.

3. Can a lightning rod protect my cooker from damage during a lightning storm?

Lightning rods are designed to protect buildings from lightning strikes by providing a path for the lightning to follow and dissipate safely into the ground. However, they do not offer protection for individual appliances such as cookers.

4. How can I prevent my cooker from getting damaged during a lightning storm?

One way to prevent damage to your cooker during a lightning storm is to unplug it from the wall outlet. This will prevent any power surges from reaching your appliance. Using surge protectors can also help to protect your appliances during storms.

5. Is it possible to repair my cooker after it has been damaged by a lightning strike?

It is possible to repair a cooker that has been damaged by a lightning strike, but it is best to have it inspected by a professional first. They will be able to determine the extent of the damage and whether it is worth repairing or if it needs to be replaced.