Orbitals, shells, subshells, oh my

• Thread starter President Mercury
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbitals
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help in understanding orbitals, shells, subshells, and electron configuration. They ask for suggestions for websites and are given several options including Purdue University's chemistry website, Wikipedia (with a warning about potential inaccuracies), Florida State University's chemistry notes, a lesson on Fordham Prep's website, and a website on atomic structure recommended by another person in the conversation.
President Mercury
I'm having trouble understanding anything dealing with the subject of orbitals, shells, subshells, electron configuration, etc. I'm sure no one on this site is going to want to explain it to me in full or anything like that; I'm not expecting it. Can anyone suggest a website that explains this subject matter? I'll continue looking myself but I'm not finding anything that great. So any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
id suggest just typing in atomic structure in google...and make sure its the one defined by quantum mechanics

or just go with Astronuc's sites, lol:P

What are orbitals?

Orbitals are regions of space around an atomic nucleus where there is a high probability of finding an electron. They are represented by mathematical equations and can hold up to two electrons with opposite spins.

What are shells?

Shells are energy levels within an atom where electrons can exist. They are labeled with the letters K, L, M, etc. and correspond to the number of the energy level (e.g. K-shell is the first energy level).

What are subshells?

Subshells are subdivisions of shells, designated by letters such as s, p, d, and f. These letters correspond to the shapes of the orbitals within the subshell.

What is the difference between orbitals and shells?

Orbitals refer to the specific regions of space where electrons are most likely to be found, while shells refer to the overall energy levels within an atom where electrons can exist.

Why do orbitals have specific shapes?

The shapes of orbitals are determined by the mathematical equations that describe them. These equations take into account the forces acting on the electrons, such as the attractive force of the nucleus and the repulsive force of other electrons.