Angle with respect to x or y axis.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an angle with respect to the x or y axis. It is explained that this refers to a 2-dimensional angle and involves starting at the corresponding axis and moving counter clockwise. It is clarified that usually the positive side of the axis is used. The conversation then gives an example and explains how to solve for the angle in this scenario. However, it is mentioned that the method used may be incorrect if the angle is in the second quadrant. The conversation ends with the question asker finally understanding the concept and thanking the expert for their help.
ysk1
Could anyone please tell me what angle I need to find when the question asks to find an angle with respect to x axis. (or y axis)
Thank you.

Likes Habib Jalbani
Physics news on Phys.org
with respect to the x or y: let's say that your angle is in 2-space or a 2-d angle. If you want to measure it with respect to the x-axis it means that you start on the x - axis and move counter clockwise to your angle. the same logic is used for the y as well

Which side of x-axis (positive side or negative side) should I choose to start moving counter clockwise to my angle?

usually it is the positive side

A question tells me to find an angle of a vector F with respect to positive x-axis.

Suppose the vector F points 17.1 degrees west of north. Then if I were to find angle of this vector with respect to positive x-axis, I add 17.1 degrees and 90 degrees and get 107.1 degrees, right?
On a question that asked to find the angle with respect to positive x-axis, I solved it as stated above, but it's wrong.
What is wrong with my method?

your angle is in the second quadrant. so you should do this 180-17.1 = 162.9 degrees.

I tried 162.9 degrees but I was told it's wrong. It's very frustrating.. :(
The question should explain what it means by "with respect to positive x-axis".
What should I do?

Last edited:
I still don't get this. Please tell me how to do this.

Now I got it. I had made a small mistake.
Mesmer, thank you for your help. =)

What is the definition of angle with respect to the x-axis?

The angle with respect to the x-axis is the measure of the angle formed by a line or shape with the positive direction of the x-axis. It is measured in a counterclockwise direction from the positive x-axis.

What is the relationship between angle with respect to the x-axis and angle with respect to the y-axis?

The angle with respect to the x-axis and the angle with respect to the y-axis are complementary angles. This means that they add up to 90 degrees.

How can angle with respect to the x-axis be used in trigonometry?

In trigonometry, angle with respect to the x-axis is used to determine the values of sine, cosine, and tangent functions. It also helps in finding the length of a side or the measure of an angle in a right triangle.

Why is angle with respect to the x-axis important in geometry?

Angle with respect to the x-axis is important in geometry because it helps in defining the orientation of lines and shapes. It also plays a crucial role in determining the properties and relationships of geometric figures.

Can angle with respect to the x-axis be negative?

Yes, angle with respect to the x-axis can be negative. A negative angle indicates a clockwise rotation from the positive x-axis. It is commonly used in coordinate geometry to locate points in quadrants II, III, and IV.