Ludwig Wittgenstein's Logic Ingredient

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, the conversation discussed various hypothetical fragrances inspired by famous scientists and their philosophies. Some of the suggested scents include Ludwig Wittgenstein's Logic, J. Robert Oppenheimer's Cataclysm, Albert Einstein's Continuum, Stephen Hawking's Universe, and Carl Sagan's "Cosmos." Each scent has a unique combination of ingredients and a clever slogan that reflects the scientist's contributions and ideas.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&colID=15&articleID=000647E6-7F1F-152E-BF1F83414B7F0000

What do you smell like?:biggrin:

I like,

Ludwig Wittgenstein's Logic
Ingredient: Silence.
Slogan: For when you don't have the words to say the things you mean.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Those were great! One of the scents by Tommy has the citrus thing going on, and its one of my favorits.

I think for tha halloween season I'd half to go with

J. Robert Oppenheimer's Cataclysm
Ingredients: Desert sand, enriched geranium.
Slogan: Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds, but with a delicate floral hint.

:rofl:
Albert Einstein's Continuum
(undoubtedly to be renamed Relativity after disappointing early sales)
Ingredient: Thyme.
Slogan: The faster you go, the shorter you get.

I like that one! I think I'll adopt that slogan...I'm short because I'm moving so fast. :biggrin:

wolram said:
Ludwig Wittgenstein's Logic
Ingredient: Silence.
Slogan: For when you don't have the words to say the things you mean.
:biggrin: This is my choice also.

Stephen Hawking's Universe
Ingredients: Everything.
Slogan: You don't have to understand it.

My vote goes to the silence one and this one. :)

How about:

Carl Sagan's "Cosmos"
Ingredients: 100% Star Stuff
Slogan: Billions and Billions

What is Ludwig Wittgenstein's Logic Ingredient?

Ludwig Wittgenstein's Logic Ingredient is a concept developed by the philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein in his book "Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus." It refers to the idea that the logical structure of a language is the key to understanding the world.

How does Wittgenstein's Logic Ingredient differ from traditional logic?

Wittgenstein's Logic Ingredient differs from traditional logic in that it focuses on the structure of language rather than on formal rules and systems. It also emphasizes the limitations of language in expressing certain concepts and ideas.

What is the importance of Wittgenstein's Logic Ingredient in philosophy?

Wittgenstein's Logic Ingredient is considered a significant contribution to the field of philosophy because it challenges traditional views on logic and language. It also has implications for our understanding of language, knowledge, and reality.

How does Wittgenstein's Logic Ingredient relate to his later philosophy?

Wittgenstein's Logic Ingredient was a central part of his early philosophy in the "Tractatus," but he later rejected many of its ideas in his later work, particularly in his book "Philosophical Investigations." Some scholars argue that the later work can be seen as a critique of his earlier views on logic and language.

What are some criticisms of Wittgenstein's Logic Ingredient?

Some critics argue that Wittgenstein's Logic Ingredient is too limiting and reductionist in its approach to language and reality. Others argue that it is too abstract and difficult to apply in practical situations. There are also debates about whether Wittgenstein's later philosophy effectively refutes his earlier ideas on logic and language.