Calculating the Distance of a Plane from a Radar Station Using Related Rates

In summary, at an instant 1 minute later, the distance from the plane to the radar station is increasing at a rate of 4 km/min.
Weave

Homework Statement

This last related rates HW problem is givin me trouble for some odd reason.
A plane flying with a constant speed of 4 km/min passes over a ground radar station at an altitude of 11 km and climbs at an angle of 25 degrees. At what rate, in km/min is the distance from the plane to the radar station increasing 1 minutes later?

Homework Equations

Law of Cosines:
[tex]c^2=a^2+b^2-2abCos(\theta)[/tex]
[tex]a=11km[/tex]
[tex]b=4km[/tex]
[tex]\frac{da}{dt}=0[/tex]
[tex]\frac{db}{dt}=4km/min[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First using the law of cosines I found c at that particular moment.
[tex]c=\sqrt(137-88Cos(23\pi/36))[/tex]
Second I found the derivitive of the law of cosines
Working everything out I get:
[tex]\frac{dc}{dt}=\frac{16-44cos(23\pi/36)+44sin(23\pi/36)}{c}[/tex]
I plug in c and get the wrong answer, what did I do wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
c by the way is the hypotnuse, a in the altitude, and b is length the plane travels,

Weave said:

Homework Statement

A plane flying with a constant speed of 4 km/min passes over a ground radar station at an altitude of 11 km and climbs at an angle of 25 degrees. At what rate, in km/min is the distance from the plane to the radar station increasing 1 minutes later?

Homework Equations

Law of Cosines:
[tex]a=11km[/tex]
[tex]b=4km[/tex]
b is NOT "4km". b is a variable and you are told that db/dt= 4 km/min

[tex]\frac{da}{dt}=0[/tex]
[tex]\frac{db}{dt}=4km/min[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First using the law of cosines I found c at that particular moment.
[tex]c=\sqrt(137-88Cos(23\pi/36))[/tex]
Second I found the derivitive of the law of cosines
Working everything out I get:
[tex]\frac{dc}{dt}=\frac{16-44cos(23\pi/36)+44sin(23\pi/36)}{c}[/tex]
I plug in c and get the wrong answer, what did I do wrong?
Also, there is no reason to convert 25 degrees to [itex]23\pi/36[/itex] since it is a constant. That doesn't change the result but I thought it was peculiar to convert from degrees to radians (and surprised that it was such a simple result!).

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
Weave said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Law of Cosines:
[tex]a=11km[/tex]
[tex]b=4km[/tex]
b is NOT "4km". b is a variable and you are told that db/dt= 4 km/min

Also, there is no reason to convert 25 degrees to [itex]23\pi/36[/itex] since it is a constant. That doesn't change the result but I thought it was peculiar to convert from degrees to radians (and surprised that it was such a simple result!).

But at that instant isn't b=4km?

Oops! Yes, I skipped over the "1 minute later" part.

However the point is that is not a "constant"- b is changing as time goes on. You cannot evaluate at b= 4 until after you take the derivative.
And how did you get that "[itex]sin(23\pi/36)[/itex]"? You don't differentiate the cosine- its a constant.

The law of cosines tell you that
[tex]c^2= 11^2+ b^2- 22b cos(115)[/tex]
Differentiating that with respect to t gives you
[tex]2c dc/dt= 2b db/dt- 22cos(115) db/dt[/itex]

Now use the fact that, at this instant, b= 4 km, db/dt= 4 km/min. You will need to determine c, at this instant, from the law of cosines.

ah! thanks!

1. What are related rates in mathematics?

Related rates in mathematics refer to the concept of calculating how the rate of change of one quantity affects the rate of change of another related quantity. This is often seen in word problems involving multiple variables and their changing rates.

2. How are related rates used in real-world applications?

Related rates are commonly used in real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering, to model and solve problems involving changing variables. For example, calculating the rate of change of a moving object's position or the rate of change of a chemical reaction.

3. What is the process for solving related rates problems?

The process for solving related rates problems involves identifying the given variables, finding an equation that relates the variables, differentiating the equation with respect to time, plugging in the known values, and solving for the desired rate of change.

4. How does the concept of a "plane" relate to related rates?

In related rates problems, the term "plane" often refers to a two-dimensional surface or figure. This could be a flat surface, such as a tabletop, or a geometric shape, such as a circle or triangle. The changing rates of these plane figures can be related through various equations.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates problems include not carefully reading and understanding the problem, using incorrect units or not converting units correctly, and not taking into account the chain rule when differentiating. It is also important to carefully label and keep track of all given and unknown variables to avoid confusion.