Can You Solve This Compound Angle Formula Question?

In summary, the question asks for a previous exam question that uses compound angle forumlas. The student is having difficulty getting the answer involving rearrangments, and suggests trying the following:a \sin \alpha + b \cos \alpha = \sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2}This equation can be rearranged to yield:a \sin \alpha + b \cos \alpha = \frac{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2}{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2}If we know the angle \beta such that:\left| \sin \beta \right| = \left| \frac{a}{\sqrt{a ^ 2 +
Firepanda
It's a previous exam question using compound angle forumlas. I've tried everything to try and get the answer involving rearrangments!

I know the forumlas i just can't get them to work to show this.

I assume its something to do with adding or subtracting the forumla away from each other, but I've tried it. The furthest i got was this:

cos (alpha) + (root 3)sin (alpha)

but i can't get it into the format of what they want

Here's the question :)

http://img251.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mathelpsk7.jpg

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Firepanda said:
...cos (alpha) + (root 3)sin (alpha)

but i can't get it into the format of what they want

Yup, so far so good. :)

It goes like this. If you want to combine the expression:
[tex]a \sin \alpha + b \cos \alpha[/tex] to get some expression with only one sine, or one cos function, you should pull out the factor: [tex]\sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2}[/tex]

[tex]a \sin \alpha + b \cos \alpha = \sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2} \left( \frac{a}{\sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2}} \sin \alpha + \frac{b}{\sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2}} \sin \alpha \right)[/tex]

Now, let [tex]\beta[/tex] be some angle such that:
[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{l} \sin \beta = \frac{a}{\sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2}} \\ \cos \beta = \frac{b}{\sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2}} \end{array} \right. \quad \mbox{or} \quad \left\{ \begin{array}{l} \sin \beta = \frac{b}{\sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2}} \\ \cos \beta = \frac{a}{\sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2}} \end{array} \right.[/tex]

There will definitely be an angle [tex]\beta[/tex] like that, since, we have:
[tex]\left| \sin \beta \right| = \left| \frac{a}{\sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2}} \right| \leq 1[/tex]
[tex]\left| \cos \beta \right| = \left| \frac{b}{\sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2}} \right| \leq 1[/tex]
and
[tex]\sin ^ 2 \beta + \cos ^ 2 \beta = \frac{a ^ 2}{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2} + \frac{b ^ 2}{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2} = \frac{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2}{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2} = 1[/tex]

So, we have:
[tex]a \sin \alpha + b \cos \alpha = \sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2} \left( \frac{a}{\sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2}} \sin \alpha + \frac{b}{\sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2}} \cos \alpha \right) = \left[ \begin{array}{l} \sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2} (\sin \beta \sin \alpha + \cos \beta \sin \alpha) \\ \sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2} (\cos \beta \sin \alpha + \sin \beta \cos \alpha) \end{array} \right.[/tex]

[tex]= \left[ \begin{array}{l} \sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2} \cos (\alpha - \beta) \\ \sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2} \sin (\alpha + \beta) \end{array} \right.[/tex]-------------------------

Applying this to your problem, we have:
[tex]\cos \alpha + \sqrt{3} \sin \alpha[/tex]
Pull out [tex]\sqrt{1 ^ 2 + (\sqrt{3}) ^ 2} = \sqrt{4} = 2[/tex], we have:
[tex]... = 2 \left( \frac{1}{2} \cos \alpha + \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \sin \alpha \right)[/tex]
Now, we will try to find such angle [tex]\beta[/tex], we have:
[tex]\sin \left( \frac{\pi}{6} \right) = \frac{1}{2}[/tex], and
[tex]\cos \left( \frac{\pi}{6} \right) = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex], so: [tex]\beta = \frac{\pi}{6}[/tex]. Substitute [tex]\beta[/tex] into the expression, yielding:

[tex]...= 2 \left( \sin \left( \frac{\pi}{6} \right) \cos \alpha + \cos \left( \frac{\pi}{6} \right) \sin \alpha \right) = 2 \sin \left( \alpha + \frac{\pi}{6} \right)[/tex] (Q.E.D)
Yay, it's done.
Is it clear?
Can you get it? :)

Last edited:
yes! thankyou :D

1. What are compound angle formulas?

Compound angle formulas are mathematical equations that allow you to express the trigonometric functions of sum or difference of two angles in terms of the trigonometric functions of those individual angles. They are used in various areas of science and engineering, particularly in fields involving waves and oscillations.

2. What is the difference between sum and difference formulas?

The sum formulas are used to express the trigonometric functions of the sum of two angles in terms of the trigonometric functions of those individual angles. On the other hand, the difference formulas are used to express the trigonometric functions of the difference of two angles in terms of the trigonometric functions of those individual angles.

3. How are compound angle formulas useful?

Compound angle formulas are useful in simplifying complex trigonometric expressions, solving trigonometric equations, and proving trigonometric identities. They also have applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.

4. What are some common compound angle formulas?

Some common compound angle formulas include the sine and cosine sum and difference formulas, the tangent sum and difference formulas, and the double angle formulas for sine, cosine, and tangent.

5. How can I remember all these formulas?

There are various mnemonic devices and tricks that can help you remember compound angle formulas, such as the "CAST" rule (Co-Sine-Algebra-Sine-Tangent) and the "SOH-CAH-TOA" acronym. It is also helpful to practice using the formulas in different scenarios and to understand the geometric interpretations behind them.