Solving Displacement: A Route Analysis

In summary, a carrier drove 22.0 km north from her office and then drove 47.0 km at an angle of 60 degrees south of east. Using the cosine rule, the displacement from her office was found to be 30.0394 km at an angle of 128.491 degrees east of north. This was determined by using the formula a^2 = b^2 + c^2 - 2bccosA to find the length of the third side of the triangle and then using the sine rule to find the direction. It was also noted that in this case, the cosine rule was a more accurate method of calculation.
Eathrock

Homework Statement

A carrier drives from her office 22.0 km northerly direction to town. Drives in direction of 60.0 degrees south of east for 47.0 km to another town. Whats her displacement from office?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diagram of her route but I do not know what to do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
What type of shape do you get?

A Traingle

Eathrock said:
A Traingle

cool. so do you know which side it is whose length you need? do you know the cosine rule?

Hypotunese is what I need, right?
Cosine rule is to determine the sides/anlges of a non right angle.
Could I use Pythagorean theorem?

Last edited:
Eathrock said:
Hypotunese is what I need, right?
Cosine rule is to determine the sides/anlges of a non right angle.
Could I use Pythagorean theorem?

In this case you don't have a right triangle, so no hypoteneuse... so you can't use pythagorean theorem. But you can use the cosine rule to get the length of the third side of that triangle...

Then you need the direction also... so you need the angle of that third side (measured from north, south, east or west... whichever is most convenient).

Okay. Let me try to work it out.

a^2=b^2+c^2-2bccosA

Eathrock said:

careful... what angle do you have in the triangle... opposite the side you're calculating?

I did a^2 = 22^2 + 47^2 - 2(22)(47)cos60 to get 40.731 and then I did
40.731^2 = 47^2 + 22^2 - 2(47)(22)cosB to get me 60

Eathrock said:
I did a^2 = 22^2 + 47^2 - 2(22)(47)cos60 to get 40.731 and then I did
40.731^2 = 47^2 + 22^2 - 2(47)(22)cosB to get me 60

Yes, but in my diagram, the 60degrees, isn't the angle in the triangle... I get 90-60=30 degrees...

How do you get 90 degrees?

Eathrock said:
How do you get 90 degrees?

90 degrees is the angle between the path (22.0 km north) and the east axis... she drives 60 degrees south of east... that means her path is 60 degrees below the east axis... or in other words 30 degrees east of south...

For example... 10 degrees south of east, is 80 degrees east of south...

Oh okay. So I should replace 60 with 30 in the formula I showed you earlier.

Ok. I see. Make so much more sense now.
Is the side 30.530 and is that the answer?

Eathrock said:
Ok. I see. Make so much more sense now.
Is the side 30.530 and is that the answer?

I'm getting 30.034km... you should also get the direction.

Yes. You are right. 30.034 km.

How would you find the direction?

Eathrock said:
Yes. You are right. 30.034 km.

How would you find the direction?

You can find the angle of the displacement from any of the 4 axes (north south east west). I've drawn in one here as x:

http://www.imagevimage.com/gallery.php?entry=images/triangle2.gif

So when you find x... the direction would be x degrees west of south... hope that makes sense...

To find x... you'd use the sine law...

I've drawn x in two places... because those two angles are equal (since the lines are parallel)... hope this makes sense...

30.034^2 = 47^2 + 22^2 - 2(47)(22)cosB to get the angle?

Eathrock said:
30.034^2 = 47^2 + 22^2 - 2(47)(22)cosB to get the angle?

By B, are you referring the angle I called X on the diagram? What is the side opposite X...

Yeah...
Is this one better?

47^2 = 30.0394^2 + 22^2 - 2(30.0394)(22)cosB to get the angle

Eathrock said:
Yeah...
Is this one better?

47^2 = 30.0394^2 + 22^2 - 2(30.0394)(22)cosB to get the angle

yup. that works. you can also use sine rule to get the angle... ie: sinB/47 = sin30/30.04

I got 128.491, is that it for the problem?

Eathrock said:
I got 128.491, is that it for the problem?

Yes, but I made a couple of mistakes in my drawing... first I pointed the vector in the wrong direction(for some reason I was pointing it backwards)... plus I didn't consider that the angle was obtuse... but I fixed it and here's an updated picture:

http://www.imagevimage.com/gallery.php?entry=images/2_triangle4.GIF

It was good that you used the cosine rule, because the sin rule doesn't give the right answer here...

So the magnitude is 30.0394km and the direction is 128.491 degrees east of north... I've labelled the resultant vector as R.

hope I didn't make more errors...

So when you have the option to use the cosine rule over the sine rule... use the cosine rule. :wink:

Last edited:
Thank you! :)

Eathrock said:
Thank you! :)

No prob. Don't trust my work... check for yourself... make sure it all checks out to you...

1. What is displacement and why is it important to solve it?

Displacement is the distance and direction of an object's change in position. It is important to solve displacement because it helps us understand the motion of objects and their location in space.

2. How do I calculate displacement?

To calculate displacement, you need to know the initial position and the final position of the object. You can then use the formula: displacement = final position - initial position.

3. What are the different methods for solving displacement?

There are various methods for solving displacement, including graphical analysis, vector analysis, and using equations such as the distance formula or the Pythagorean theorem.

4. How can displacement be represented graphically?

Displacement can be represented graphically using a displacement-time or displacement-distance graph. On these graphs, displacement is shown as the change in position over time or distance.

5. Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative. This means that the object has moved in the opposite direction than the chosen reference point. Positive displacement indicates movement in the same direction as the reference point.