Thought of 2 Difficult Math Problems

• Thread starter Izzhov
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around two problems: one involving solving for y as a function of x in an equation, and the other involving finding the exact value of a summation with a variable exponent. The first problem was approached using the function FOO(x), which was defined through an initial condition and a differential equation. The second problem involved the irrational number zeta(3), known as Apéry's constant, which has no closed form but its decimal places have been calculated. The conversation also touched on the limitations of finding closed forms for certain functions, such as the error and Bessel functions.
Is there some heirarchy that says 'the calculus level' is lower than the 'algebraic level'? You had the solution before, but you just weren't happy with it. The solution was perfectly correct.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
matt grime said:
Is there some heirarchy that says 'the calculus level' is lower than the 'algebraic level'? You had the solution before, but you just weren't happy with it. The solution was perfectly correct.

Actually, the whole problem in our communication is that "calculus level" is higher than algebraic level; it's a classic case of the answerer thinking more deeply about the question than the asker was expecting, and answering it at a higher level (i.e. using calculus) than the asker wanted (i.e. using algebra).

Izzhov said:
Actually, the whole problem in our communication is that "calculus level" is higher than algebraic level; it's a classic case of the answerer thinking more deeply about the question than the asker was expecting, and answering it at a higher level (i.e. using calculus) than the asker wanted (i.e. using algebra).

Whichever way you want it, dear, you won't find any other best linear approximation to foo(x) about (1,2) than the one I posted..

arildno said:
Whichever way you want it, dear, you won't find any other best linear approximation to foo(x) about (1,2) than the one I posted..

'K, thanks. :smile: