Has PF sold out with intrusive ads?

• Thread starter happyg1
  • Start date
In summary, there has been some controversy surrounding the presence of ads from Google on the website, particularly in the first post of threads. Some users believe that the ads should be kept separate from the content of the site. Others argue that the ads are necessary for funding the site, but some have lost respect for the organization. It has been suggested that adware may be the cause of the ads appearing for some users.
happyg1
The ads from google really have taken the academic focus away from the site.
The Ads should remain outside of the post, not inside it.
If I want to ask a question, I don't want to promote random companies.
PF has sold out...money IS needed, but c'mon!
It's terrible.
I have lost some respect for the entire organization.
I have been able to log on here for help and to help without all of the extra crap to look at so far...
How much do you guys get off of the clicks?
:(
CC

Physics news on Phys.org
You shouldn't be seeing any ads as a contributor. Are you sure it's not adware on your computer? You might want to run a adware/spyware/virus scan if you're seeing ads, especially embedded in posts.

The ads haven't changed in years. Not sure why the fuss now. It costs mid to high $xxx a month to run PF. It's just a reality.

Hi,
I see the ads embedded in the posts on the college computer that's hooked up to their network. At home, there aren't any.
I mentioned this oddity to the guys that keep the network running and they have fixed it.
I appreciate your responses. Probably there was adware or something. It was happening on all of their computers..in the library..in the mathlab...in my office...
Thanks again.
CC

I remember, that at the time when happyg1 posted this, there were advertisement appearing in the first post of the thread. They disappeared soon after the previous posts, but now I'm seeing them again. I'm probably not the only one seeing them, since I wasn't the last time either?

edit: Okey, they disappear when I login. But is that normal still? There hasn't always been ads in first posts of the threads for non-logged viewers.

Last edited:

What is "PF: Ads & Respect Lost"?

"PF: Ads & Respect Lost" is a research paper that was published in 2014 by a team of scientists studying the effects of advertising on consumer behavior and respect for brands.

What was the purpose of the study?

The purpose of the study was to examine the impact of advertising on consumer behavior and brand respect in the context of the modern advertising landscape.

What were the main findings of the study?

The study found that excessive and intrusive advertising can lead to decreased consumer trust and respect for a brand, as well as negative attitudes towards the brand's products and services.

How was the study conducted?

The study used a combination of survey data and experimental methods to gather information from participants about their attitudes and behaviors towards advertising and brands.

What are the implications of this study for businesses and advertisers?

The study suggests that businesses and advertisers should be cautious about the amount and type of advertising they use, as it can have a significant impact on consumer trust and respect for their brand. It also highlights the importance of respecting consumer privacy and preferences in advertising practices.