SAE 1055 properties after HEat treatment

In summary, VijayMachinery's Handbook says that the yield strength, ultimate tensile strength, and Young's modulus of carbon steels can be calculated based on hardness levels. If you stay on the conservative side, you will be in good shape. However, Modulus and Poisson's ratio may change from already stated values. My sincere thanks for your reply.
vijayb2008
Hi Friends,

I'm looking for the Yield strength, Ultimate tensile strength, Young;s modulus and poisson's ratio of SAE 1055 material after heat treatment for my FE Analysis.

The material undergoes the following heat treatment processes

Through Hardened to 880 C for 2 hours and Oil Quenched (Hardness after hardening = above 50 HRC)

Tempered to 380 C for 2 hours and Air cooled (Hardness after Tempering = 42 – 47 HRC)

I'll be thankful if anyone can help me out.

Regards.

Vijay

Engineering news on Phys.org
Machinery's Handbook has as section that allows you to calculate the yield and ultimate strengths of carbon steels based on hardness levels. My company had done some testing a lot of years ago and for the materials listed, the data correlates quite well. If you stay on the conservative side, you will be in good shape. In the 26th edition, the section starts on page 473. I would highly doubt that Modulus and Poisson's ratio will change from already stated values (29x10^6 psi and .32) and

Last edited:
My sincere thanks for your reply. I've gone through the pages you've mentioned and found a relation which calculates tensile strength form BHN. But I believe the Young's modulus and poisson's ratio also undergo some change after heat treatment. Any suggestions?

Predict Mechanical properties based on hardness tests may be useful in some cases but results could be far from reality.

I suggest you check out
www.matweb.com

its a great materials properties library

Cerpin Taxt said:
Predict Mechanical properties based on hardness tests may be useful in some cases but results could be far from reality.
Like any correlation, the user has to understand the limitations of their usage. In this respect I can say that my company did some testing of this very topic and found a strong correlation as long as the applicable conditions were met. IIRC the section of Machinery's that deals with this does a pretty good job of listing the limitations of this approach.

Up to now, I haven't seen any significant change in Young's modulus nor poisson's ratio through heat treatment in usual steel.

Deep cold-drawing does reduce Young's modulus, and subsequent annealing supposedly restores it.

There are exceptions, essentially memory alloys. Also, steel has a lower E modulus when austenitic. But your C60E won't change a bit just because you alter the tempering temperature.

1. What is SAE 1055?

SAE 1055 is a carbon steel with a medium carbon content, typically used for making springs and heavy-duty machine parts.

2. What is heat treatment?

Heat treatment is a process of heating and cooling a material in a controlled manner to alter its physical and chemical properties, such as hardness and strength.

3. What happens to SAE 1055 after heat treatment?

After heat treatment, SAE 1055 undergoes a transformation in its microstructure, resulting in improved hardness and strength.

4. What are the properties of SAE 1055 after heat treatment?

The properties of SAE 1055 after heat treatment include increased hardness, improved wear resistance, and better machinability.

5. What is the recommended heat treatment for SAE 1055?

The recommended heat treatment for SAE 1055 is quenching and tempering, which involves heating the steel to a high temperature, followed by rapid cooling and then reheating to a lower temperature to achieve the desired properties.