Could Human and Chimp Produce Offspring?

• Thread starter Moridin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Human
In summary: The opinion in the article is that there is no evidence that a chromosome fusion event ever took place in the human line, meaning that humans are descended from two separate lines of ancestors. This is relevant to the current thread because some people are arguing that the chromosome fusion event that is responsible for human intelligence is not true, and that humans are descended from two separate lines of ancestors.
Moridin
Hi,

Can H. sapiens and P. troglodytes produce (infertile) offspring? Has there ever been any experiments where this has been attempted? Which position is more theoretically sound?

Biology news on Phys.org
Moridin said:
Has there ever been any experiments where this has been attempted?

I thought I heard somewhere once that is where AIDS came from? LOL <smirk>

Many experiments have been tried over the years (mainly in the early 1900's). They have all failed rather embarassingly. I think Nazi Germany had a program with this is mind, to create super-soldiers with the strength of a chimp and the mind of a man. Also a disgusting failure.

I believe there was also someone in the Soviet Union trying to do such experiments. Also a failure and eventually the guy fell out of political favor and was sent to Siberia.

BoomBoom said:
I thought I heard somewhere once that is where AIDS came from? LOL <smirk>

I prefer to think it was a bite. :yuck:

Chromosome number for hominidae:
http://homepage.mac.com/wildlifeweb/cyto/diploid/Hominidae2n.html

One of the ways speciation succeeds is blocking hybridization: humans have 46 chromosomes (23 pairs) the other great apes have 48 (24 pairs). Creating a hybrid, especially one that is viable, is extremely unlikely.

Last edited by a moderator:
jim mcnamara said:
Chromosome number for hominidae:
http://homepage.mac.com/wildlifeweb/cyto/diploid/Hominidae2n.html

One of the ways speciation succeeds is blocking hybridization: humans have 46 chromosomes (23 pairs) the other great apes have 48 (24 pairs). Creating a hybrid, especially one that is viable, is extremely unlikely.

Of course, I forgot the chromosomal fusion event. Thanks.

This thread will be closed if you guys do not stop clowning around. The original question was valid, but this other stuff isn't.

So it seems like the answer is, yes it's been tried but without success and it is likely impossible due to the number of chromosomes...

Is it known how long ago this chromosome fusion event took place in the human line? Did Neanderthals have 23 chromosomes? Homo erectus? etc.

To my knowledge there are no extant cells from H. neaderthalensis, for example. You need living cells or at least pretty well preserved tissue to answer that one. To make a karyotype requires a stained smear of a cell near metaphase in mitosis, or a germ cell in metaphase I in meiosis.

Here is what is involved in making your own karyotype:
http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/units/disorders/karyotype/karyotype.cfm

http://www.animal-rights-library.com/texts-m/dawkins01.htm"

Count Iblis said:
http://www.animal-rights-library.com/texts-m/dawkins01.htm"

What does that opinion have to do with the current thread? Granted, I only rapidly skimmed the article in your link, but a bit of explanation might help here.

1. Can humans and chimpanzees actually produce offspring?

No, humans and chimpanzees are different species and therefore cannot produce offspring together. They have different genetic makeup and cannot successfully reproduce.

2. Is it possible for humans and chimpanzees to mate?

While it is technically possible for humans and chimpanzees to engage in sexual behavior, it is highly unlikely and would not result in a successful pregnancy. Even if fertilization did occur, the resulting embryo would not be viable.

3. Are there any documented cases of human-chimpanzee hybrids?

No, there are no documented cases of human-chimpanzee hybrids. The idea of a human-chimpanzee hybrid is purely hypothetical and not supported by scientific evidence.

4. Why is it impossible for humans and chimpanzees to produce offspring?

Humans and chimpanzees have a different number of chromosomes (46 for humans, 48 for chimpanzees) and many other genetic differences that make it impossible for them to successfully reproduce and produce viable offspring.

5. Can other animals produce offspring with chimpanzees?

No, chimpanzees are only able to reproduce with other chimpanzees. They are not able to produce offspring with any other species, including humans. This is due to the genetic differences and reproductive barriers between species.