Software to assist with self study?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a software that can generate random math problems for practice. The speaker has found some websites that offer this service but they are limited to basic arithmetic. They also mention finding a program called Mathematica for the Classroom which can generate practice exercises for various types of math problems. However, the program is expensive and more suitable for teachers. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing their enjoyment in studying math and their plans to continue practicing during breaks between semesters.
ncurses
Greetings.

What would be the easiest way to generate random math problems for me to practice with?
For example, I might want to have five questions that are just basic algebra, five that are polynomial long division, maybe some straight arithmetic thrown in, and perhaps later I could add some harder stuff.
And if I found I had trouble with something, then on the next batch I could throw in some more practice with whatever I had trouble with.

As a bonus, it would be great to have some geometry or trig questions, or even logic or proofs.

I have found some websites which can generate math worksheets, but they seem limited to basic arithmetic.

I could probably hack something together to do this for me, but I am sure software like I describe already exists and there is no reason to re-invent the wheel.

I have been studying for my finals every day for the past few weeks, and for the first time in my life, math no longer scares me, and I actually enjoy doing it.
So, I think between semesters I will continue to practice every day to stay fresh so I can jump right into my next class.

Physics news on Phys.org
ichi2[dot]net/anki/index.html

Of course replacing the [dot] with .

I came across this recently - have not tried it yet, but looks like it might be what you're looking for.

dachikid said:
ichi2[dot]net/anki/index.html

Of course replacing the [dot] with .

I came across this recently - have not tried it yet, but looks like it might be what you're looking for.

Hmm..
That's not really what I was looking for, but thank you.
That just plays back facts that you give it beforehand.

I want something that actually uses a computer to generate math problems.

Of course I googled it before making this post, and I have found some programs, I was just wondering if anyone could make a recommendation.

I doubt that this would be a reasonable solution for a single individual because of the high cost, but you could look at Mathematica for the Classroom:

http://www.wolfram.com/products/classroom/

This produce is targeted at school teachers. Just as you say, it can generate practice exercises of specific types along with their solutions. It can also do much more, and it has the full power of Mathematica, which explains the heavy price tag. This is especially justified if you plan to continue your math education.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is software to assist with self study?

Software to assist with self study is a type of computer program that provides tools and resources to help individuals learn and study independently. It can include features such as flashcards, quizzes, and study planners to aid in the learning process.

2. How does software to assist with self study work?

Software to assist with self study typically works by providing a user-friendly interface for accessing various study materials and organizing them in a way that is conducive to learning. It may also use algorithms and data tracking to personalize the learning experience for each user.

3. What are the benefits of using software to assist with self study?

Some of the main benefits of using software to assist with self study include increased efficiency, personalized learning, and access to a wide range of study materials. It can also help individuals stay organized and motivated in their studies.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using software to assist with self study?

One potential disadvantage of using software to assist with self study is that it may not work for everyone. Some individuals may prefer more traditional study methods or may struggle with using technology. It also may not be suitable for all subjects or learning styles.

5. How do I choose the right software to assist with self study?

To choose the right software to assist with self study, it's important to consider your learning style and goals, as well as the features and resources offered by different programs. It may also be helpful to read reviews and try out demos before making a decision.