What are the implications of neutrino mass on the universe?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concern about neutrino masses and the sharing of a paper that discusses this topic. The paper, published in Physics Letters B in 1988, claims that neutrino mass and mixing can be inferred from an underground deficit of low energy muon-neutrino events. The paper also suggests that these mass values can lead to interesting results, such as relic tau neutrinos having enough energy density to close the university. The conversation ends with a lighthearted remark about the students' fate if this were to happen.
humanino
Hi everyone,

I have always been very worried about the possible consequences of neutrino masses. I just came accros a paper which I thought I would share with you.

First, the reference :
Neutrino mass and mixing implied by underground deficit of low energy muon-neutrino events
John G. LEARNED, Sandip PAKVASA, and Thomas J. WEILER
Volume 207, number l, PHYSICS LETTERS B, 9 June 1988

You might not have access to this paper, so I will copy/past below the most interesting claim published in this respectable journal
(below page 3, from bottom of left column).
These mass values imply several interesting results :
(a) [...]
(b) [...]
(c) [...]
(d) Relic tau neutrinos have sufficient energy density to close the university
I hope you will still be able to sleep tonight.

Physics news on Phys.org
humanino said:
Relic tau neutrinos have sufficient energy density to close the university.
The time to start worrying is when it closes the bars. Then where would the students go?

If that isn't a typo meaning universe for university, I think I'll sleep all right.

1. What is a neutrino and why is its mass important?

A neutrino is a subatomic particle that belongs to the family of leptons and has no electric charge. Its mass is important because it can affect the behavior of other particles and therefore has implications for our understanding of the universe.

2. How is the mass of a neutrino measured?

The mass of a neutrino is measured through experiments that study the properties of neutrinos, such as the rate at which they oscillate between different types (flavors). These experiments use high-energy particle accelerators or natural sources of neutrinos, such as the Sun or supernova explosions.

3. What are the consequences of a non-zero neutrino mass?

A non-zero neutrino mass would have significant consequences for our current understanding of particle physics and cosmology. It could help explain the matter-antimatter asymmetry in the universe, the origin of dark matter, and the structure of the universe on a large scale.

4. Can the mass of a neutrino change?

Yes, the mass of a neutrino can change through a process called neutrino oscillation. This occurs when a neutrino changes from one flavor to another as it travels. This phenomenon was first observed in the late 1990s and has since been confirmed by numerous experiments.

5. Are there any practical applications of neutrino mass research?

Although the study of neutrino mass is primarily for theoretical and scientific purposes, there are some potential practical applications. For example, neutrino detectors can be used to monitor nuclear reactors and to study the interior of the Earth, as neutrinos can pass through matter unaffected.