StepDown/Buck Chopper circuit

• Engineering
  • Thread starter McMurry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation discusses two different circuits for a buck chopper, one with an RLE load and the other with a capacitor in parallel with a resistive load. The question asks if these two circuits are the same. The attempt at a solution includes a link to a description of buck power supplies.
McMurry

Homework Statement

I've gone through two different books... and both give a different circuit for the buck chopper.
Is the one with RLE load is totally same like the one with a capacitor in parallel with the resistive load?

hxxp://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chopper1pp2.jpg
hxxp://img367.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chopper2zh0.jpg

(replace hxxp with http, sorry cause i am not allowed to post URL to other sites yet)

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

n/a

Physics news on Phys.org
This link has a good description of Buck power supplies:
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/power/switch-mode-power-supply.html#:~:text=The%20Buck%20switching%20regulator%20is,terminals%20without%20changing%20the%20polarity.

1. What is a StepDown/Buck Chopper circuit?

A StepDown/Buck Chopper circuit is an electronic circuit that converts a higher voltage input to a lower voltage output. It uses a switching element, usually a transistor, to rapidly turn on and off, creating a pulsed output that is then smoothed out to provide a lower and more stable output voltage.

2. How does a StepDown/Buck Chopper circuit work?

The circuit works by using a switching element, such as a transistor, to rapidly turn on and off. This creates a pulsed output that is then filtered and smoothed out to provide a lower and more stable output voltage. The duty cycle, or the amount of time the switching element is on versus off, determines the output voltage.

3. What are the advantages of using a StepDown/Buck Chopper circuit?

One of the main advantages is its efficiency in converting a higher voltage input to a lower voltage output. It also allows for a smaller and lighter power supply, making it ideal for portable electronic devices. Additionally, it can provide a regulated output voltage, even when the input voltage varies.

4. What are some common applications of StepDown/Buck Chopper circuits?

These circuits are commonly used in electronic devices that require a stable and low voltage supply, such as smartphones, laptops, and other portable devices. They are also used in power supplies for industrial equipment, renewable energy systems, and electric vehicles.

5. How do I design a StepDown/Buck Chopper circuit?

Designing a StepDown/Buck Chopper circuit involves selecting the appropriate switching element, calculating the duty cycle and output voltage, and choosing the correct components for filtering and smoothing the output. It is important to consider factors such as efficiency, output voltage ripple, and thermal management in the design process.