Calculating max. kinetic energy (photoelectric)

In summary, according to the photoelectric equation, energy of light radiation is equal to kinetic energy of photoelectron + work function. Kinetic energy is calculated by speed of electron * cutoff potential, while work function is the difference between calculated and actual energy of light radiation. Work function is negative when the cutoff potential is greater than the energy of light radiation.
NATSALANE
given the cutoff potential (0.25 V) and wavelength (578 nm), how do i find the maximum kinetic energy of the electrons ejected from photoelectrif surface, in both eV and J?

my guess is,
KE = e Vo
= (1.6 x 10-19) x (0.25 V)
= 4.0 x 10-20 J

but if i convert that to eV, i get the same value as the cutoff potential - that can't be right.

can someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
also, how do i graph the maximum kinetic energy-vs-frqeuency of photons graph? i only have one value of frequency and kinetic energy. i know that the slope must be the same as the value of plank's constant, but assuming i do not know the constant, how can i find more points on the line to connect?

According to the photoelectric equation,
Energy of light radiation = Kinetic Energy of photoelectron + Work function

Here, you are actually calculating the work function and thinking that it is the Kinetic Energy. Calculate the energy of the light radiation [hc/(wavelength)], where h is Planck's constant and c is the speed of light.

Then, subtract work function from the calculated energy to obtain the max. K.E. of the photoelectron.

Max K.E. = h(v-vo) = hv - Work function
where h is Planck's constant, v is frequency of radiation and vo is the cutoff frequency. As you have already calculated the work function, therefore you can create the graph (which will be a straight line).

alecsing said:
According to the photoelectric equation,
Energy of light radiation = Kinetic Energy of photoelectron + Work function

Here, you are actually calculating the work function and thinking that it is the Kinetic Energy. Calculate the energy of the light radiation [hc/(wavelength)], where h is Planck's constant and c is the speed of light.

Then, subtract work function from the calculated energy to obtain the max. K.E. of the photoelectron.

all i am given is the wavelength and cutoff potential, so in order to find the maximum kin energy, don't i use this equation: Kinetic energy = speed of electron * cutoff potential ?

how does that equate to work?

NATSALANE said:
all i am given is the wavelength and cutoff potential, so in order to find the maximum kin energy, don't i use this equation: Kinetic energy = speed of electron * cutoff potential ?

how does that equate to work?

There is a previous thread:- https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-208429.html
. After viewing it, you will be able to understand the meaning of cutoff potential more clearly. It is used to calculate the work function and not the kinetic energy.

okay then.

so EK = (hc)/λ - eVo

i got the same answer as W but opposite sign (negative)...

1. What is the formula for calculating maximum kinetic energy in the photoelectric effect?

The formula for calculating maximum kinetic energy in the photoelectric effect is K_max = hf - W, where K_max is the maximum kinetic energy, h is Planck's constant, f is the frequency of the incident light, and W is the work function of the metal surface.

2. How does the intensity of light affect the maximum kinetic energy in the photoelectric effect?

The intensity of light does not affect the maximum kinetic energy in the photoelectric effect. The maximum kinetic energy is determined solely by the frequency of the incident light and the work function of the metal surface.

3. What is the significance of the work function in calculating maximum kinetic energy?

The work function represents the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of a metal. It is subtracted from the energy of the incident light to calculate the maximum kinetic energy of the emitted electrons in the photoelectric effect.

4. How does the type of metal used in the photoelectric effect affect the maximum kinetic energy?

The type of metal used in the photoelectric effect can affect the maximum kinetic energy through its work function. Different metals have different work functions, which can result in varying maximum kinetic energies for emitted electrons.

5. Is the maximum kinetic energy in the photoelectric effect affected by the angle of incidence of the light?

No, the angle of incidence of the light does not affect the maximum kinetic energy in the photoelectric effect. The maximum kinetic energy is solely determined by the frequency of the incident light and the work function of the metal surface.