DIY Propeller for Homemade Car

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for an efficient propeller to power a car. Two important concepts for propeller efficiency are camber and twist, which involve curving and twisting the blades to redirect airflow and maintain a constant velocity distribution.
goorioles747
Hi,
I need to make a propeller using either soda bottle plastic or cardstock. I think I can come up with a mechanism to spin it with a rubber band, but, I need an efficient propeller that creates enough power to move the car I am building. Any ideas/possible designs?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Two concepts are critical to propeller efficiency:
-Camber: The propeller blades have to be curved to re-direct the airflow.
-Twist: The propeller blade has to be twisted to provide a steeper angle of attack at the center than at the tips (the tips are almost flat in the direction it spins). this is so that the velocity distribution along the blad is constant.

Hello there,

I would suggest considering the following factors when designing your DIY propeller for your homemade car:

1. Blade shape and size: The shape and size of the blades will greatly affect the efficiency of your propeller. A wider and more curved blade will create more thrust, while a narrower and flatter blade will create less drag. Experiment with different shapes and sizes to find the optimal design for your propeller.

2. Angle of attack: The angle at which the propeller blades meet the air can also impact its efficiency. A steeper angle of attack will create more lift and thrust, but may also create more drag. Again, experimentation will help determine the best angle for your propeller.

3. Material: The materials you use for your propeller can also affect its efficiency. Plastic or cardstock may work, but they may not be the most durable or aerodynamic materials. Consider using lightweight and strong materials such as carbon fiber or aluminum for better performance.

4. Balance: It is important to ensure that your propeller is balanced to prevent vibration and reduce drag. You can achieve this by carefully shaping and trimming the blades, or by adding small weights to balance them.

5. Power source: The power source for your propeller, in this case, a rubber band, will also play a role in its efficiency. Make sure to use a strong and high-quality rubber band to generate enough power for your car.

Overall, the key to designing an efficient propeller for your homemade car is experimentation and testing. Don't be afraid to try different designs and materials until you find the best one for your project. Good luck!

1. How do I choose the right propeller size for my homemade car?

Choosing the right propeller size for your homemade car depends on several factors such as the weight of the car, the power of the motor, and the desired speed. You can use online propeller sizing calculators or consult with experts to determine the appropriate size for your car.

2. What materials do I need to make a DIY propeller for my homemade car?

The materials needed to make a DIY propeller for your homemade car include a strong and lightweight material such as carbon fiber or aluminum, a propeller hub, a propeller blade, and adhesive or bolts for assembly. You may also need tools such as a drill and saw to shape and cut the materials.

3. Can I use a propeller from a store-bought motor for my homemade car?

It is not recommended to use a propeller from a store-bought motor for your homemade car as it may not be suitable for the specific design and power of your car. It is best to design and create a custom propeller for your homemade car to ensure optimal performance and safety.

4. How do I balance my DIY propeller for my homemade car?

To balance your DIY propeller, you can use a propeller balancing tool or perform a static balance test by placing the propeller on a balancing shaft and adjusting the blades until they are level. You can also perform a dynamic balance test by spinning the propeller and adjusting the blades until there is minimal vibration.

5. How can I improve the efficiency of my DIY propeller for my homemade car?

To improve the efficiency of your DIY propeller, you can experiment with different blade designs and shapes, use a lighter material, and ensure proper balancing. You can also consult with experts or perform testing to determine the best propeller design for your homemade car.