Deriving the Poincare algebra in scalar field theory

In summary, the commutators are P^\mu,J^{\mu \nu} which are i(g^{\mu \sigma}P^\nu-g^{\nu \sigma}P^\mu)
Pacopag

Homework Statement

Find the commutators [tex][P^\sigma,J^{\mu \nu}][/tex]

The answer is part of the Poincare algebra
[tex][P^\sigma,J^{\mu \nu}]=i(g^{\mu \sigma}P^\nu-g^{\nu \sigma}P^\mu)[/tex]

If someone can convince me that [tex]\partial_i T^{0\mu} = 0[/tex], (i.e. the energy-momentum tensor has no explicit spatial dependence) then I got it.
But I'll still post my solution below.

Homework Equations

[tex]P^\mu = \int d^3x T^{0\mu}[/tex]
[tex]J^{\nu \sigma}=\int d^3x(x^\nu T^{0\sigma}-x^\sigma T^{0\nu})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

An unsatisfactory explanation of why [tex]\partial_i T^{0\mu} = 0[/tex] is that [tex]T^{\mu \nu}[/tex] depends on the fields, so there is no [tex]explicit[/tex] spacetime dependence, but the fields in turn depend on spacetime. You'll see where this comes in below.

Since [tex]J^{\nu \sigma}=-J^{\sigma \nu}[/tex], we only have to consider the commutators
[tex][P^0,J^{0i}][/tex], [tex][P^0,J^{ij}][/tex], [tex][P^i,J^{0j}][/tex], [tex][P^i,J^{jk}][/tex]

Let's take [tex][P^i,J^{0j}][/tex] as an example. If I can get this one, then I can get them all.
[tex][P^i,J^{0j}] = \left[P^i, \int d^3x(x^0 T^{0j}-x^j T^{00}) \right][/tex]
[tex]=x^0[P^i,P^j]-[P^i,\int d^3x x^j T^{00}][/tex]
The first term is zero since momenta commute. For the second term, since [tex]P^i[/tex] is the generator of translation in the i-direction, then as in quantum mechanics we get
[tex][P^i,J^{0j}] = -i \partial^{'}_i \int d^3x x^j T^{00}[/tex]
[tex]=-i \left( \delta_{ij} \int d^3x T^{00} + \int d^3x x^j \partial_j T^{00}\right)[/tex]
[tex]=-i \left( \delta_{ij} P^0 + \int d^3x x^j \partial_j T^{00}\right)[/tex]
If the second term vanishes, then we get the right answer. There are a couple of ways this can happen:
(1) [tex]\partial_i T^{0\mu} = 0[/tex], which is what I'd really like to show.
(2) [tex]T^{00}[/tex] is for some reason a spatially odd function (i.e. [tex]T^{00}(x)=-T^{00}(-x)[/tex].
The latter seems completely unlikely due to the whole Lorentz invariance thing. It just seems wierd.
The (1) reason seems better to me. Of course, we do know that [tex]T^{\mu \nu}[/tex] is conserved, but in the sense that [tex]\partial_\mu T^{\mu \nu} = 0[/tex]. But I don't see how this tells us that individual partial derivatives are zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't told us what you're allowed to assume.

You assume
[tex][P^i,J^{0j}] = -i \partial'_i \int d^3x \,x^j T^{00}[/tex]
but this is wrong. I'm not sure what the prime is supposed to mean on the derivative; you can't differentiate with respect to a dummy integration variable.

What is true is that, for a field or product of fields [itex]\varphi(x)[/itex] at a spacetime point x,
[tex][P^i,\varphi(x)] = +i \partial^i \varphi(x);[/tex]
note the sign. So we have
[tex][P^i,J^{0j}] = +i \int d^3x \,x^j \partial^i T^{00}(x)[/tex]
But, again, it's not clear if you're allowed to assume this property of the momentum operator.

Well that's perfect! Thanks very much.
Integration by parts gives the answer, and I don't have to worry about the other term that I wanted to drop. About assuming the property of P_i. I don't see why not. Why do you think that I should not assume this? If I was really ambitious, I guess I could just follow the derivation in Weinberg I.

Well it just depends on what you what to take as the starting point. You could, for example, write the stress-energy tensor in terms of the fields, and then use canonical commutation relations for the fields. For scalar fields, this is problem 22.3 in Srednicki. Or, since you're willing to assume [itex][P^\mu,\varphi(x)] = i \partial^\mu \varphi(x),[/itex] you might also be willing to assume [itex][J^{\mu\nu},\varphi(x)] = i (x^\mu\partial^\nu-x^\nu\partial^\mu)\varphi(x).[/itex] Then you can consider multiple commutators like [itex][J^{\mu\nu},[P^\rho,\varphi]][/itex] and [itex][P^\rho,[J^{\mu\nu},\varphi]][/itex], and then use the Jacobi identity to get [itex][[P^\rho,J^{\mu\nu}],\varphi][/itex]. This gives you [itex][P^\rho,J^{\mu\nu}][/itex], up to a possible central charge; problem 2.8 in Srednicki uses this method to get [itex][J^{\mu\nu},J^{\rho\sigma}].[/itex]

Thank you once again. My first attempt at this problem was to write the stress-energy tensor in terms of the fields and use the canonical commutation relations, but this got really messy. I was only able to get a couple of the commutators this way. Probably, I just keep making sign, or prime/unprime typos. Assuming P and J to act as derivative and angular momentum operator give a much cleaner solution. But I guess you have a point that I should PROVE that P acts as derivative, etc.

Ya. Srednicki was most helpful. Thanks.

Pacopag said:
My first attempt at this problem was to write the stress-energy tensor in terms of the fields and use the canonical commutation relations, but this got really messy.
Yes, this is a huge mess, so the more abstract arguments are useful.

What is the Poincare algebra in scalar field theory?

The Poincare algebra is a mathematical framework used to describe the symmetries of scalar field theory. It includes the translation and rotation symmetries of space and time, as well as the Lorentz transformations that relate different reference frames.

Why is it important to derive the Poincare algebra in scalar field theory?

Deriving the Poincare algebra allows us to understand the underlying structure of scalar field theory and its symmetries. This is crucial for developing new theories and making predictions about the behavior of physical systems.

What are the steps involved in deriving the Poincare algebra?

The first step is to define the generators of the algebra, which are mathematical operators that represent the symmetries of the theory. Then, we use the commutation relations between these generators to derive the algebra. This involves solving equations and manipulating mathematical expressions.

What are some real-world applications of the Poincare algebra in scalar field theory?

The Poincare algebra is used in a variety of fields, including particle physics, cosmology, and condensed matter physics. It is also used in the development of theories such as quantum field theory, which is essential for understanding the behavior of subatomic particles.

Is the Poincare algebra the same for all types of field theories?

No, the Poincare algebra may differ depending on the type of field theory being studied. For example, in addition to the scalar field theory, there are also Poincare algebras for vector fields, spinor fields, and more complex theories that involve multiple fields.