Combining Errors: Solving Pythagorean Distance Error

• Thread starter Bunting
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Errors
In summary, the student is trying to find the error in a Pythagorean distance. They use derivatives and the chain rule to approximate the error.
Bunting
I didn't really know on the forum to put this, it isn't really homework or coursework, but it is a very small part of a project I am doing for uni, so essentially it could be worth marks so here it is, anyway...

Homework Statement

Im rubbish at combining errors and was wondering if someone could just guide me on this sepcific issues... I am trying to get the error in a pythagorean distance, i.e the error in...

Distance =(x2 + y2 + z2)1/2

Now I have all the errors of x, y and z respectively. My problem is that I don't think I am combining the error corrrectly, see section3...

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I am doing is to say...

1. x*x, y*y and z*z are all combinations of errors, for all of which I have been using...

z = axy

where a=1, x=x, y=x, such that...

E(x2) = 2x3(E(x))2

which is the same for the error in y2, and the same for the error in z2.

2. next I say, find the error in x*x + y*y + z*z, for which I use...

z = ax + by + cz where a=b=c=1

where the error is...

(E(z))2 = a2(E(x))2 + b2(E(y))2 + c2(E(z))2

I work all this through and get a value for the error in x*x + y*y + z*z, then...

3. error in distance = (x*x + y*y + z*z)1/2, for which I use...

z = axb where a=1, b=0.5

this uses the formula E(z)/z = bE(x)/x

So I rearrange all this, calculate the individual errors, but I get a number that is just plain wrong.

So, in summery of how I do it...
1 - Work out the error in
----a = x*x
----b = y*y
----c = z*z

2 - work out the error in...
----d = a + b + c

3 - work out the error in...
----e = d1/2

Is this a correct way of going about it ?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]s=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}[/tex]

Use derivatives and the chain rule:

[tex]ds=\frac{\partial s}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial s}{\partial y}dy+\frac{\partial s}{\partial z}dz[/tex]

Now evaluate the partials

[tex]ds=\frac{x}{s}dx+\frac{y}{s}dy+\frac{z}{s}dz[/tex]

This gives the error ds in terms of the individual component errors.

marcusl said:
[tex]s=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}[/tex]

Use derivatives and the chain rule:

[tex]ds=\frac{\partial s}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial s}{\partial y}dy+\frac{\partial s}{\partial z}dz[/tex]

Now evaluate the partials

[tex]ds=\frac{x}{s}dx+\frac{y}{s}dy+\frac{z}{s}dz[/tex]

This gives the error ds in terms of the individual component errors.

I think you need to put some absolute value signs around those partials :wink:

True enough :redface: Thanks.

Oops, sorry about the lack of thanks here! I read it ages ago, use dit then must have forgotten! :S

Thank you for the help :)

Out of interest can that be used for any means of combinational error ? I.e.

f = (d2 - d1) / (d2 + d1)

Can I just take derivatives and then use the chain rule, or because d2 and d1 have the same error it can be done differantly ?

You can use the derivative to approximate errors. For example if f(x)= x2 and x can be "[itex]x_0\pm \delta[/itex]", then x could be as large as [itex]x_0+ \delta[/itex] so f(x) could be as large as [itex](x_0+ \delta)^2= x_0^2+ 2x_0\delta+ \delta^2[/itex] which is, to "first order", that is, ignoring the [itex]\delta^2[/itex], [/itex]f(x_0)+ 2x_0\delta[/itex]. Or x could be as [itex]x_0- \delta)^2= x_0^2- 2x_0\delta+ \delta^2[/itex]. Again, ignoring the [itex]\delta^2[/itex] term, that is [itex]f(x_0)- 2x_0\delta[/itex] so we can write, approximately, [itex]f(x_0)\pm 2x_0\delta= f(x_0)\pm f'(x_0)\delta[/itex]

There is an engineer's "rule of thumb" that say if you add measurements, you add the errors and if you multiply measurements, you add the "relative errors".

That is because if h(x)= f(x)+ g(x), h'(x)= f'(x)+ g'(x) while if h(x)= f(x)g(x), h'(x)= f'(x)g(x)+ f(x)g'(x) and dividing both sides by h= fg, h'/h= f'/f+ g'/g. "h'/h" is the "relative error".

1. What is Pythagorean distance error?

Pythagorean distance error is a type of error that occurs when measuring the distance or length of an object using the Pythagorean theorem. It is caused by inaccuracies in the measurements of the sides of a right triangle, which then lead to an incorrect calculation of the hypotenuse.

2. How does combining errors affect Pythagorean distance error?

Combining errors can amplify Pythagorean distance error, as each individual measurement error contributes to the overall inaccuracy of the final calculation. This is because the Pythagorean theorem uses the squares of the measurements, which can increase the effect of even small errors.

3. Can Pythagorean distance error be avoided?

While it is impossible to completely eliminate all sources of error, there are steps that can be taken to reduce Pythagorean distance error. These include using precise and accurate measuring tools, taking multiple measurements and averaging them, and using alternative methods of measurement when possible.

4. What are some real-world applications of Pythagorean distance error?

Pythagorean distance error is commonly seen in fields such as engineering, construction, and surveying. It can also be relevant in areas such as navigation and astronomy, where accurate measurements of distances are crucial.

5. How can Pythagorean distance error be solved?

Pythagorean distance error can be solved by using the correct formula to calculate the distance or length, which takes into account the errors in measurement. This involves adding or subtracting the error from the final result, depending on the type of error (positive or negative).