Solving Log Equations: A Couple of Tricky Questions | Homework Help

• Thread starter MadmanMurray
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Couple Log
In summary: For the first one there I was wondering if I can express it like this 2logx + 2? Can I do that?Yes assuming x^2y are both an argument of your logCan I write logx6y3 as logx6 + logy3 or do I have to get rid of them powers first?Yes assuming x^2y are both an argument of your logThanks a lot.
MadmanMurray

Homework Statement

1.) 3logx2y + 2logxy
2.) 4logabc - 2loga2b - 3logbc

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that 3logx2 is the same as 6logx but I don't know what to do since there's a y there

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the question? If it's to simplify as much as possible, you can use log(xy) = log(x) + log(y).

Yep that's the question. I'm just confused about what to do with all these coefficients.
Is 3logx2y the same as logx6y3??

Can I write logx6y3 as logx6[/sup + log]y3 or do I have to get rid of them powers first?

Yes assuming x^2y are both an argument of your log

MadmanMurray said:
Can I write logx6y3 as logx6 + logy3 or do I have to get rid of them powers first?

Hi MadmanMurray! :smile:

I'm guessing that they want it in the form 6logx + 3logy. :wink:

(after all, how would you look up logx6 in log-tables if x = 2.345? … you'd have to find 2.3456 first, and the only way of doing that is to :rolleyes: … yes! :biggrin:)

Thanks a lot.

I have 2 more log questions in front of me that are confusing as hell too:
1.) log (x2 + 2) = 2.6

and

2.) 2x + 1 = 32x - 1

For the first one there I was wondering if I can express it like this 2logx + 2? Can I do that?

Last edited:
MadmanMurray said:
1.) log (x2 + 2) = 2.6

I was wondering if I can express it like this 2logx + 2? Can I do that?

Nooo … that woud be (logx2) +2 :frown:

Hint: if loga = b, then a = eb :wink:

Careful tiny-tim: log(a) doesn't necessarily refer to the natural logarithm. log(a) commonly refers to the logarithm base 10 as well.

if log X = Y, then X = B^Y (where B is the base of the log)
If it doesn't make sense in logarithm land, transform it to power land!
And vice versa.

jgens said:
Careful tiny-tim: log(a) doesn't necessarily refer to the natural logarithm. log(a) commonly refers to the logarithm base 10 as well.

Well, where I study lg is decimal logarithm, ln is natural logarithm and log refers to a logarithm with any other base which is shown in subscript right after the log symbol. For example log[tex]_{2}[/tex]8 = 3 ( I don't know why, but using LaTex here shows a subscript as a superscript on my machine. The 2 is supposed to be as a subscript. I hope you get the idea), lg100 = 2 and ln(e[tex]^{2}[/tex]) = 2.

kbaumen said:
For example log[itex]_{2}[/itex]8 = 3 ( I don't know why, but using LaTex here shows a subscript as a superscript on my machine.

Hi kbaumen! :smile:

You have to use "inline" LaTeX (typing "itex" instead of "tex") if you're inserting into a line of text (see just above) …

but it's much better, on this forum, to use the X2 or X2 tags (just above the reply box), especially since any LaTeX takes up a lot of space on the server. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi kbaumen! :smile:

You have to use "inline" LaTeX (typing "itex" instead of "tex") if you're inserting into a line of text (see just above) …

but it's much better, on this forum, to use the X2 or X2 tags (just above the reply box), especially since any LaTeX takes up a lot of space on the server. :wink:

Oh. Thanks a lot for the explanation.

MadmanMurray said:
Thanks a lot.

I have 2 more log questions in front of me that are confusing as hell too:
1.) log (x2 + 2) = 2.6
Then x2+ 2= a2.6 where "a" is the base of the logarithm (probably 10 or e).

and

2.) 2x + 1 = 32x - 1
Since there exponentials are to different bases, which cannot be converted to one another, there is no easy way to solve this equation.

For the first one there I was wondering if I can express it like this 2logx + 2? Can I do that?

HallsofIvy said:
Since there exponentials are to different bases, which cannot be converted to one another, there is no easy way to solve this equation.
I decided to plug in some random numbers and the first one I plugged in (1) happened to work. Since there's no simple way to solve it maybe that's what I was meant to do.

1. What are log questions?

Log questions are mathematical problems that involve logarithms, which are mathematical functions used to solve exponential equations. Log questions typically ask you to solve for an unknown variable in an exponential equation or to simplify a logarithmic expression.

2. What is the purpose of logarithms?

The purpose of logarithms is to help solve exponential equations and make complex calculations easier. Logarithms allow us to convert multiplication and division into simpler addition and subtraction problems, making it easier to work with large numbers.

3. How do I solve a log question?

To solve a log question, you will need to use the properties and rules of logarithms. First, you will need to rewrite the equation using the properties of logarithms, then solve for the unknown variable. It is important to remember to always check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation.

4. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving log questions?

One common mistake to avoid when solving log questions is forgetting to apply the properties and rules of logarithms correctly. Another mistake is not checking your answer or forgetting to simplify the final answer. It is also important to be aware of any restrictions on the domain of the logarithmic function.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving log questions?

To improve your skills in solving log questions, practice is key. Make sure to understand the properties and rules of logarithms and try solving a variety of log questions. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources, such as online tutorials or practice problems, to further enhance your understanding and skills.