Solving 4^x + 4^-x = 8 - 2x - x^2

• Thread starter kurvmax
  • Start date
In summary, the precalc textbook asks students to solve equations by using a graphing calculator, but some students want to do the equations algebraically. The Attempt at a Solution includes taking the log of both sides and canceling the left side.
kurvmax

Homework Statement

I have a curiosity question. The precalc textbook asks me to solve by using a graphing calculator but I want to do it algebraically. I know that the equations intersect through the graphing calculator -- one intersection at x = 1.07808, another around -1.5. The two equations are:

[tex]4^x + 4^{-x} = 8 - 2x - x^2[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I took the log of both sides:

[tex]x\ln{4} + {-x}\ln{4} = \ln{8} - \ln(2x) - \ln(x^2)[/tex]
(not sure how to create a new line with tex, since \\ is not working for me)
[tex]x(\ln{4} - \ln{4}) = \ln{8} - \ln{2} + \ln{x} - \ln{x} - \ln{x}[/tex]

Forgive my mathematical illiteracy. I sort of guessed from that I could cancel the left side since ln(4) - ln(4) = 0, but I'm probably wrong there. And anyway, what if the equation didn't work out that conveniently? If the left side can be canceled and the ln(x)es on the right-side cancel, then it seems like it could become:

[tex]\ln{x} = \ln{8} - \ln{2}[/tex]

which is the same as:

[tex]e^{\ln{8} - \ln{2}} = x = 4[/tex] ??

Forgive my terrible math skills.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Relax. Not every equation can be solved algebraically. And your equation is certainly one of them. Your failure does not indicate lack of math skills, it indicates that no one could do it. But you are doing some bad stuff. E.g. log(4^x+4^(-x)) is NOT equal to x*ln(4)-x*ln(4). No way. Go with the graphing calculator solution.

When you take the log of something, can't you pull down the exponent as a multiplicative factor?

For example, if I was to take the log of 4^x, that would be x*log(4)?

You can. But log(a+b) is not equal log(a)+log(b). That's the mistake.

I see, thanks. I got log(a*b) confused with log(a+b). Which is pretty major. Actually, for some reason I thought I could take the log of each component of the two expressions individually. Is there any way to break apart things like:

[tex]\ln{(4^x + 4^{-x})}[/tex]?

And when I do that log, I'm guessing that I can't pull down those xes inside. But could I change it to:
[tex]\ln{[(4 + 4^{-1})^x][/tex]

and then pull the x down?

Last edited:
Well, do you think you can pull out the exponent like that? Just try it for n=2. Theres not really any "useful" way to simplifying the log of a sum.

I know the feeling. You're desperate enough for an answer that you begin to break mathematical rules subconsciously (even though you probably know the correct rule).

[tex]a^{c}+b^{c} \neq (a+b)^c[/tex]

Usually for younger students in high school first learning to work with binomials, they make the common error of assuming the right-hand side is equal to the left.

e.g. [tex](a+b)^2=a^2+2ab+b^2\neq a^2+b^2[/tex]

I don't know why I thought that the exponent distributed like that ... thank you so much for your patience and help. Out of curiosity -- and at the risk of testing your patience further -- is there an easy to tell if an equation can be solved algebraically? I'm guessing the answer is when the x looks really hard to isolate?

How would I mark this thread as SOLVED?

Last edited:

1. What is the first step in solving this equation?

The first step in solving this equation is to rearrange it into a quadratic form, where all the terms are on one side and the other side is equal to zero.

2. Can this equation be solved using algebraic methods?

Yes, this equation can be solved using algebraic methods. It can be simplified and rearranged into a quadratic form, which can then be solved using the quadratic formula or factoring.

3. Are there any restrictions on the values of x in this equation?

Yes, since the equation involves a term with an exponent, the values of x must be real numbers. Additionally, the value of x cannot be 0, as it would result in an undefined term.

4. How many solutions does this equation have?

This equation has two possible solutions. However, it is important to note that not all values of x may be valid solutions, as some may result in a negative number under the square root when using the quadratic formula.

5. Can this equation be solved using numerical methods?

Yes, if the equation cannot be solved algebraically, numerical methods such as graphing or using a calculator can be used to approximate the solutions. However, these methods may not be as accurate as algebraic methods.