Legendre Polynomial Orthogonality Integral Limits

In summary, the speaker has a question about the limits on the orthogonality integral of Legendre Polynomials. They are working on solving Laplace's equation inside a hemisphere and are wondering if they can integrate from -1 to 1 on both sides and then change the limit on the left hand side from 0 to 1. The expert confirms that this approach is justified and will give the correct result.
sir_manning
Good afternoon

I have a question regarding the limits on the orthogonality integral of Legendre Polynomicals:

[tex]\int_{-1}^1 P_l(u)P_{l'}du = 2/(2l+1)[/tex]

I am in the middle of a question involving the solution of Laplace's equation inside a hemisphere, which means that for the usual [tex]u=cos\theta[/tex], the limits will be from 0 to 1 instead. So after solving for my boundary conditions and multiplying by [tex]P_{l'}[/tex], I have:

[tex]P_{l'}(u)C = A_{l}\sum{P_{l}(u)P_{l'}(u)}[/tex]

The next step is to integrate each side. I want to use the orthogonality integral above, but since I have to integrate the LHS from 0 to 1, won't I have to do the same for the RHS? Or can I integrate from -1 to 1 on each side, and then change the limit on the LHS because it isn't defined for 0 to 1. I've already done the latter and the result seems to work out, but I'm simply wondering if it is justified or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you in advance for your help.Yes, it is justified to integrate from -1 to 1 on each side and then change the limit on the left hand side because it isn't defined for 0 to 1. This is a valid approach and will yield the correct result.

1. What are Legendre polynomials?

Legendre polynomials are a set of orthogonal polynomials that are used to represent functions in mathematical analysis. They were introduced by the French mathematician Adrien-Marie Legendre in the late 18th century and have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. What is the orthogonality property of Legendre polynomials?

The orthogonality property of Legendre polynomials states that when two different polynomials of the same degree are multiplied together and integrated over a specific range, the result is equal to 0. This property is useful in many applications, such as solving differential equations and approximating functions.

3. What is the Legendre polynomial orthogonality integral limits?

The Legendre polynomial orthogonality integral limits refer to the specific range over which the orthogonality property holds. This range is typically defined as -1 to 1, but it can vary depending on the specific application.

4. How are Legendre polynomials calculated?

There are several methods for calculating Legendre polynomials, but the most common approach is to use the three-term recurrence relation. This involves starting with the first few polynomials and using a recursive formula to generate higher-order polynomials. Other methods include the Gram-Schmidt process and the Clenshaw algorithm.

5. What are the applications of Legendre polynomials?

Legendre polynomials have many practical applications, including solving differential equations, approximating functions, and solving boundary value problems in physics and engineering. They are also used in signal processing, numerical analysis, and image processing.