Help with Spring Problem - Find a Function & Position at t=pi/12

• Thread starter infinityhaiti
  • Start date
In summary, springs are devices which allow for movement of an object in a certain direction or at a certain speed.
infinityhaiti
(spring problem) please help!

Having some trouble with this. Would appreciate your help please.

An object weighing 128 pounds is suspended from a spring, streching the spring 2 feet beyond its natural length. The object is then released from rest at a point 6 inches above the equilibrium position.

a. Find a function which describes the position of the object at any time t.
b. What is the position of the object at time t= pi/12 sec? be precise
c. Is the object moving upward or downward at this time? Explain

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

infinityhaiti said:
Having some trouble with this. Would appreciate your help please.

An object weighing 128 pounds is suspended from a spring, streching the spring 2 feet beyond its natural length. The object is then released from rest at a point 6 inches above the equilibrium position.

a. Find a function which describes the position of the object at any time t.
b. What is the position of the object at time t= pi/12 sec? be precise
c. Is the object moving upward or downward at this time? Explain

Welcome to PF.

What have you done so far? What kind of motion do you think you are dealing with?

LowlyPion said:
Welcome to PF.

What have you done so far? What kind of motion do you think you are dealing with?

What do you mean by motion

infinityhaiti said:
What do you mean by motion

Well you have a block on a spring and you raised it 6 inches from its rest position, I'd think when it gets released it's going to do something.

I understand that, but how do I Find the function which describes the position of the object at any time t.

Well you need to know how its going to move to know that.

What will happen when you release it from the raised position?

Hint: The way they give the time in the second question is a huge clue to the type of motion.

Do you know how to do it?
Please let me know

Sorry it doesn't work like that, we don't just give answers out.

You have to have shown that you've made some effort to answer the question on your own.
We've even told you where to start.

yeah i know, i just need some more hint to do this problem. Please help

What do springs do? If you could choose 1 word to decribe it.

it's hard to give any more hints as then it would basically be telling you the answer. infact you could probably check wikipedia and get the answer stright away.

Last edited:

1. What is the problem asking me to do?

The problem is asking you to find a function and the position at a specific time (t=pi/12) for a spring system. This means that you need to determine the mathematical equation that describes the motion of the spring at that particular time, as well as the position of the spring at that time.

2. How do I approach solving this problem?

The first step is to understand the given information and variables in the problem. Then, you can use the equations for spring motion, such as Hooke's Law, to find the function and position. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the problem.

3. Can I use any function to describe the spring's motion?

No, the function must follow the principles of spring motion, such as being sinusoidal and satisfying Hooke's Law. Additionally, the function should have a period of 2pi since the time given is pi/12.

4. What is the significance of finding the position at a specific time?

Knowing the position at a specific time allows us to understand the behavior and characteristics of the spring at that moment. It can also be used to predict the future position and motion of the spring.

5. Can I use calculus to solve this problem?

Yes, calculus can be used to solve this problem, particularly in finding the function for the spring's motion. However, it is not necessary to use calculus as there are other methods such as using Hooke's Law and trigonometric identities to find the function and position.