How to delete column in notepad

In summary, the person is having trouble with the way their data was outputted from a labview program, which separates the time and strain by a comma. They want to plot just the strain in excel and are seeking advice on how to do this by potentially deleting the time column in the file. They are also considering importing the data as a csv file in excel and deleting the unwanted column.
CanoIsDbo
Hi, I was running a labview program and it wrote my data to an lvm file, which can be opened with notepad. The problem I am having is the way labview outputted my data. It has the time and the strain separated by a comma. I attached the file, so everyone can see. What I want to do is somehow delete the time column so I can just plot the strain in excel. Anyone have an idea how to do this?

Thanks

Attachments

• example.txt
    86.7 KB · Views: 610
Computer science news on Phys.org
What would you plot the strain against? Or are you plotting a histogram?

If you wanted just the strain data, you can import csv (comma separated value) files in Excel (I don't think you even need to rename it from .txt to .csv) and then just delete the offending column. You can also save the resulting data as a standard Excel file, along with your graphs, etc.

CanoIsDbo said:
Hi, I was running a labview program and it wrote my data to an lvm file, which can be opened with notepad. The problem I am having is the way labview outputted my data. It has the time and the strain separated by a comma. I attached the file, so everyone can see. What I want to do is somehow delete the time column so I can just plot the strain in excel. Anyone have an idea how to do this?

Thanks

I don't think it can be done.

I would save the file from notepad with ANSI coding, change the extension to .csv, open the file in excel, and delete the unwanted column.

1. How do I delete a column in Notepad?

To delete a column in Notepad, first select the column by clicking and dragging your cursor over the text. Then, right-click on the selected text and choose "Cut" or press the "Delete" key on your keyboard. This will delete the column from your Notepad document.

2. Can I undo a deleted column in Notepad?

Yes, you can undo a deleted column in Notepad by pressing the "Ctrl" and "Z" keys on your keyboard. This will restore the deleted column and any other changes you have made to your document.

3. How do I delete multiple columns in Notepad?

To delete multiple columns in Notepad, hold down the "Ctrl" key on your keyboard and click and drag your cursor over the columns you want to delete. Then, follow the same steps as deleting a single column by right-clicking and choosing "Cut" or pressing the "Delete" key.

4. Is there a way to delete a specific column in Notepad?

Yes, you can delete a specific column in Notepad by holding down the "Alt" key on your keyboard and clicking and dragging your cursor over the column you want to delete. Then, follow the same steps as deleting a single column by right-clicking and choosing "Cut" or pressing the "Delete" key.

5. Can I delete a column without deleting the text in the other columns?

Yes, you can delete a column without deleting the text in the other columns by holding down the "Shift" key on your keyboard and clicking and dragging your cursor over the column you want to delete. Then, follow the same steps as deleting a single column by right-clicking and choosing "Cut" or pressing the "Delete" key. This will only delete the selected column while leaving the text in the other columns intact.