Edit Tab Delimited Text File w/Data for Use w/Gnuplot

• Thread starter omegacore
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data File
In summary, the person is having trouble editing a tab space delimited text file in order to use gnuplot for analysis. They need to subtract data from one column in one file from another column in another file, but there are too many rows to do it manually. They are looking for help using a program called awk to perform this operation.
omegacore
Hello!

I am running ubuntu, I have a copy of open office excel, but I need to edit a tab space delimited text file with my data in it so I can use gnuplot to plot it.

The editing consists of subtracting one column of data from a file, from another column of data in another file. Each row corresponds to another row in another document... There are about 1000 rows so I cannot do this manually. My lab writeup is due in a few hours, this is the last step I need to complete for the analysis!

I know there is a way to write a quick and dirty program that will perform the operation, but my experience with such things is limited to date. So please! Help!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Look at awk (eg http://student.northpark.edu/pemente/awk/awk1line.txt ) it's a very simple language for text processing

Print column 1 - column 2 would be something like:
awk '{print $1-$2}' datafile.txt

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you are working on an important project and are in need of some assistance with editing a tab-delimited text file for use with Gnuplot.

Firstly, I would recommend using a text editor specifically designed for working with data, such as Notepad++ or Sublime Text. These programs have features that make it easier to manipulate large amounts of data, such as the ability to search and replace specific values.

In terms of subtracting one column of data from another, you can use a programming language like Python or R to automate this process. There are many tutorials and resources available online that can guide you through this task. Alternatively, you can use built-in functions in Gnuplot to perform mathematical operations on your data.

If you are short on time, you could also consider using a data analysis software like Excel or Google Sheets, which have functions for manipulating data and can also be used to create plots.

I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck with your lab writeup. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a tab delimited text file?

A tab delimited text file is a type of file that uses a tab character to separate columns of data. The data is structured in rows and columns, with each column representing a different variable or attribute of the data. This type of file is commonly used for storing and organizing large sets of data, and is often used in scientific research and data analysis.

2. How do I create a tab delimited text file?

To create a tab delimited text file, you can use a text editor or a spreadsheet program such as Microsoft Excel. Simply input your data into the file, separating each column with a tab character. Make sure to save the file as a .txt or .csv file to preserve the tab delimited format.

3. What is Gnuplot and how is it used with tab delimited text files?

Gnuplot is a command-line plotting program that is commonly used for visualizing data. It can read data from tab delimited text files and plot the data in various formats, such as line graphs, scatter plots, and histograms. Gnuplot also offers a wide range of customization options for creating high-quality and publication-ready plots.

4. How do I edit a tab delimited text file for use with Gnuplot?

To edit a tab delimited text file for use with Gnuplot, you can use a text editor or a spreadsheet program. You can add, remove, or rearrange columns of data as needed, and save the changes to the file. Make sure to keep the tab delimited format intact to ensure Gnuplot can read the data correctly.

5. Can I use other types of delimiters besides tabs in a text file for use with Gnuplot?

Yes, you can use other delimiters such as commas or spaces in a text file for use with Gnuplot. However, you will need to specify the delimiter in the Gnuplot command when plotting the data. For example, if your file uses spaces as delimiters, you can use the command "plot 'data.txt' using 1:2 with lines" to plot the first and second columns of data.