Computer seems to turn fan on fast.

In summary, the conversation discusses potential reasons for a computer's fan to turn on and off frequently, such as dust buildup or poor thermal contact between the CPU and heatsink. It is also suggested to monitor the CPU temperature and check for any background processes that may be causing high CPU usage. Another possible cause is a broken band that holds the heat sink to the CPU.
FrostScYthe
Hi everyone,

My computer fan keeps turning on fast, and then turning off (I think it's the fan, I'm not sure). The computer didn't seem to do that before. I was wondering if this is a bad sign (overheating?), and what should I check?

Ed.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Vacuum all the dust bunnies out of the computer and fan.
It might also be that the thermal contact between the CPU and heatsink+fan is poor because it has been knocked loose or the contact grease has dried out
Get a utility that monitors the CPU temperature.

Some video cards also have fans, so check that as well.

Does your system also slow down around the time (or slightly before) the fans speeds up? I've had this happen on Windows systems that are running lot of background processes (e.g. antivirus or spyware sweeping programs). You think the computer is just sitting there at rest, but then it turns out that the CPU is maxed out running these processes you couldn't even see (and getting very hot as it does it).

This happened to me a few years ago. The cpu fan would turn on high speed for no apparent reason (cpu usage was very low). When I opened the box and looked at the cpu, I noticed that one of the bands that hold the heat sink to the cpu had snapped off. So you might want to check that.

1. Why does my computer's fan suddenly turn on at a high speed?

This could be due to a variety of reasons, such as a heavy workload on the computer, a build-up of dust and debris in the fan, or a malfunctioning fan. It's important to regularly clean your computer and keep it well-ventilated to prevent the fan from working too hard.

2. Is it normal for a computer's fan to turn on at a high speed?

Yes, it is normal for a computer's fan to turn on at a high speed when the computer is under a heavy load. This is to prevent overheating and keep the components running smoothly. However, if the fan is constantly running at high speed or is loud, it could indicate a problem.

3. How can I reduce the noise of my computer's fan?

You can reduce the noise of your computer's fan by cleaning it regularly, making sure the computer is well-ventilated, and adjusting the fan speed in your computer's settings. You can also consider investing in a quieter fan or using noise-cancelling materials in your computer's casing.

4. Can a computer's fan affect its performance?

Yes, a computer's fan plays a crucial role in its performance. If the fan is not functioning properly or is clogged with dust and debris, it can cause the computer to overheat and slow down. It's important to keep the fan clean and in good working condition for optimal performance.

5. What should I do if my computer's fan is not working?

If your computer's fan is not working, it could indicate a malfunction or damage to the fan. In this case, it's best to seek professional help to repair or replace the fan. Continuing to use the computer without a functioning fan can lead to overheating and potentially damage the components.