Relativity Theory and Quantum Theory

In summary: The incompatibility between Relativity Theory and Quantum Theory is due to the different equations for the space-time manifolds taken on a differential scale. A particle of gravity would be a way of dealing with the space-time curvature.
Gear300
Does the reason for the incompatibility between Relativity Theory and Quantum Theory lie in how Relativistic equations for the space-time manifolds taken on a differential scale differ from Quantum Theory's equations (I don't even know if they differ or if there are such equations...I'm only assuming)?

Edit: by any chance...am I just speaking nonsense? I only came across this question when reading on manifolds and assumed that Relativity Theory should compare to Quantum theory if space-time was zoomed to a differential scale.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gear, i think this question might do better in a different area like relativity or quantum theory.

I guess I'll re-post...thanks for the suggestion.

I moved this thread to S and GR, and deleted the other thread which had no replies yet.

atyy said:
There is no incompatibility between relativity and quantum theory. The problem is that there are many ways of getting the compatibility, and we don't know which one is correct.
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0311082
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9512024

I see...so that is the case.

An additional question. I haven't studied Relativity in much depth, but by what I know, gravity in Relativity would be due to space-time curvature. I've also heard of work dealing with a particle of gravity (graviton), which seems to appear in more that than one theory...how would the concept of a particle fit in with space-time curvature?

There is one situation where gen. rel. and quantum theory have to apply at the same time, i.e. inside a black hole. Unfortunately they are incompatible there.

mathman said:
There is one situation where gen. rel. and quantum theory have to apply at the same time, i.e. inside a black hole. Unfortunately they are incompatible there.

Oh, I see...would the reason be because of what was mentioned in my opening post? Also, how would a particle of gravity relate to space-time curvature?

1. What is the difference between Relativity Theory and Quantum Theory?

Relativity Theory, also known as the Theory of General Relativity, is a theory that explains the behavior of large objects in space, such as planets and galaxies. It describes how gravity affects the curvature of space-time and how mass and energy are related. Quantum Theory, on the other hand, is a theory that explains the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It describes how particles interact with each other and how their properties are measured.

2. How did Relativity Theory and Quantum Theory come about?

Relativity Theory was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. He was inspired by the work of scientists such as Isaac Newton and James Clerk Maxwell and sought to understand the relationship between gravity and the fabric of space-time. Quantum Theory, on the other hand, was developed by various scientists in the early 20th century, including Max Planck, Niels Bohr, and Werner Heisenberg. They were trying to explain the strange behavior of particles at the atomic level.

3. Can Relativity Theory and Quantum Theory be reconciled?

Currently, there is no single theory that can fully explain both Relativity Theory and Quantum Theory. However, many scientists are working on theories that aim to reconcile the two, such as String Theory and Loop Quantum Gravity. These theories attempt to bridge the gap between the large-scale behavior described by Relativity and the small-scale behavior described by Quantum Theory.

4. What are some practical applications of Relativity Theory and Quantum Theory?

Relativity Theory has been successfully applied in various fields, such as satellite navigation systems, global positioning systems, and the prediction of the existence of black holes. Quantum Theory has led to the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as chemistry, medicine, and materials science.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges to Relativity Theory and Quantum Theory?

Both Relativity Theory and Quantum Theory have been extensively tested and have stood the test of time. However, there are still some unanswered questions and limitations to both theories. For example, Relativity Theory does not fully explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level, and Quantum Theory does not account for the effects of gravity. Additionally, both theories are not compatible with each other and have not been unified into a single theory. Scientists continue to work on these challenges in the pursuit of a unified theory of everything.