Trying to follow i beginer's proof/derivation from relativity demistified.

• Thread starter Storm Butler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary: It's not like people's ability to understand matrices is a bottleneck which is preventing them from understanding SR.In summary, the conversation revolves around a question regarding the linearity of a transformation in special relativity. The book in question is trying to show the transformations and how they work while considering the invariance of the speed of light. The confusion arises from the author's use of linear equations and how they are derived. The conversation also touches upon the use of matrices in understanding special relativity.
Storm Butler
Trying to follow i "beginer's" proof/derivation from relativity demistified.

I'm trying to follow this proof/derivation in Relativity demystified basically the book is showing transformations and how they work according to the invariance of the speed of light. (im working on chapter 1 pg 9-13 in case anyone has the book). The first question i have is, at one point in the book they say that a flash of light moving out from some origin is described by the function of C^2*t^2=x^2+y^2+z^2 (i assume a circle). then they set that equal to zero as well as another coordinate system (F`), and since its in standard form (or something similar) aka only the x direction is moving the y and z and y` and z` cancel out so it leaves us with the equation c^2*t^2-x^2=c^2*t`^2-x`^2 then the author goes on to say "now we use the fact that the transformation is linear while leaving y an z unchanged. the linearity of the transformation means it must have the form x`=Ax+Bc*t
c*t`=Cx+Dc*t
im confused how is it linear aren't there squared terms and how did he rearrange these equations into these two linear equations?

I have more questions but this i all i will ask for now.

Physics news on Phys.org

Why would there be squared terms? What he is calculating is just a "change of coordinates" transformation that has nothing to do with the "c^t^2= x^2+ y^2+ z^2" (which is NOT a circle but a sphere in three-space with radius ct).

And any linear function of x and t can be written "Ax+ Bt". The "c" is extracted from B to get the units write. If x is in "meters" and t is in "seconds" Then in x'= Ax+ Bt A is dimension less since x' and x already have the same units, meters. But t has "seconds" as units so B must have units of "meter/second" and it is simplest to write that as (B/c)ct= B'ct so B' is now dimensionless.

ok well if the transformation has nothing to do with the above function then where does it come from? sorry if i seem a bit slow on understanding this.

I can't say for sure without knowing what comes before this bit in the book (I don't have it myself), but the transformation doesn't really come from anywhere. Here's the deal: the book has explained why
[tex]c^2 t^2 - x^2=c^2 t'^2 - x'^2[/tex]
(at least, given that you believe that the speed of light is invariant). And obviously, there must be some transformation between (t, x) and (t', x') - that is, if you're traveling at some particular speed, there must be some way for you to work out how a friend traveling at a different speed perceives the same events. The book says that this transformation is linear. Why linear? I forget what the accepted mathematical reasoning is, but you can do experiments to verify linearity of transformations. Anyway, since the transformation is linear, it can be expressed as
[tex]\begin{align}x' &= Ax + Bct\\t' &= Ct + Dx/c\end{align}[/tex]
because all linear transformations look like that - it's just a definition. Hopefully you can follow things a bit better from there...

diazona said:
The book says that this transformation is linear. Why linear? I forget what the accepted mathematical reasoning is
It's an assumption. It's possible to make an assumption about something else and derive linearity from that, but that wouldn't be a "better" approach, just a different one. See this thread for a discussion.

diazona said:
Anyway, since the transformation is linear, it can be expressed as
[tex]\begin{align}x' &= Ax + Bct\\t' &= Ct + Dx/c\end{align}[/tex]
because all linear transformations look like that - it's just a definition.
I would just like to add that I strongly prefer the matrix version of this equation, with units such that c=1:

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}C & D\\ A & B\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}t'\\ x'\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}t\\ x\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

I have always found it very strange that introductory texts on SR are always using annoying units (c≠1) and never using matrices. I suppose the reason must be that instructors are assuming that their students aren't ready for matrices yet. That's what makes it so weird, because matrices are much easier than SR. It's an easy concept that makes the difficult concepts easier to understand.

Last edited:

1. What is relativity?

Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocity.

2. How is relativity relevant to everyday life?

Relativity has a significant impact on our everyday lives, particularly in the fields of technology and communication. GPS systems, for example, rely on the principles of relativity to accurately determine location and time. It also helps us understand the behavior of particles at high speeds, such as in particle accelerators.

3. What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity, while general relativity includes the effects of gravity. Special relativity is based on the concept of the speed of light being constant for all observers, while general relativity explains how gravity is the curvature of space and time caused by massive objects.

4. How can I understand relativity as a beginner?

One approach to understanding relativity as a beginner is to start by learning about the basic principles and concepts, such as the constancy of the speed of light and the equivalence of all inertial frames. It can also be helpful to use visual aids and thought experiments, as well as seeking out simplified explanations and examples.

5. Are there any common misconceptions about relativity?

One common misconception about relativity is that it only applies to objects moving at extremely high speeds. In reality, the principles of relativity can be observed in everyday situations, such as the difference in time between two clocks at different elevations due to gravity. Another misconception is that relativity replaces Newton's laws of motion, when in fact it is an extension of them.