Brushed vs Brushless DC motor

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between a brushed and brushless DC motor in terms of size, weight, power, and torque. The main advantage of a brushless motor is its ability to run at very low or zero RPM without damaging the commutator, while a brushed motor may be less efficient due to contacts and frictional losses. There is no clear answer on which type is more powerful in terms of torque produced, as it may depend on the specific size and weight of the motors being compared.
ramonegumpert
Dear Sirs/Mdms,

I would like to find out how different is a brushed vs brushless dc motor in terms of size, weight and power .

I can find articles on the net regarding some comparisons between the 2 types. For example, a brushed is less efficient than a brushless motor.

But i cannot find info about :

1. Assuming a brushed and a brushless motor both are of the same size and weight,
which is more powerful in terms of torque produced?

I suspect the brushed motor is less powerful as it is less efficient dues to contacts and frictional losses?

2. Between these 2 types of motor of same dimensions, does a brushed motor have any advantage over the brushless motor?

sincerely,
Ramone

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello ramone-
One specific advantage a brushless permanent magnet dc motor with a Hall Effect sensor has over a brushed motor is being able to run as a torque motor, at very low or zero RPM, because in a brushed motor there is the danger of damaging the commutator.
Bob S

Dear Ramone,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the differences between brushed and brushless DC motors. I am happy to provide you with some information on this topic.

Firstly, let me explain the main difference between these two types of motors. A brushed DC motor uses a mechanical commutator to switch the direction of current flow, while a brushless DC motor uses electronic commutation. This means that a brushed motor has physical contacts that can wear down over time, leading to reduced efficiency and potentially lower power output compared to a brushless motor.

To answer your first question, assuming both motors are of the same size and weight, the brushless motor will typically produce more torque than the brushed motor. This is due to the absence of physical contacts and frictional losses in the brushless motor, allowing for more efficient transfer of electrical energy into mechanical energy.

As for your second question, there are some advantages of a brushed motor over a brushless motor in certain applications. For example, a brushed motor is generally less expensive and easier to control compared to a brushless motor. It also has a simpler design, making it more suitable for low-power applications. However, in terms of overall efficiency and performance, a brushless motor is typically the preferred option.

I hope this information helps to answer your questions. For further reading, I recommend looking into the differences in construction, operation, and applications of brushed and brushless DC motors.

Best regards,

1. What is the main difference between a brushed and brushless DC motor?

The main difference between a brushed and brushless DC motor is the way in which the rotor is powered. In a brushed motor, the rotor is powered by direct current (DC) through brushes and a commutator. In a brushless motor, the rotor is powered by an external power source and there are no physical brushes or commutator involved.

2. Which type of DC motor is more efficient?

Brushless DC motors are generally more efficient than brushed DC motors. This is because there is less friction and wear in brushless motors, as there are no physical brushes and commutators to come into contact with each other. Additionally, brushless motors have more precise control over the motor's speed and torque, leading to better overall efficiency.

3. Are brushed or brushless DC motors more durable?

Brushless DC motors are typically more durable than brushed DC motors. This is due to the lack of physical brushes and commutators, which can wear down over time. Brushless motors also have fewer moving parts, reducing the risk of mechanical failure.

4. Can both brushed and brushless DC motors be used for the same applications?

Yes, both types of DC motors can be used for the same applications. However, brushed motors are typically better suited for low power applications, while brushless motors are better for high power applications that require precise control over speed and torque.

5. Which type of DC motor is more expensive?

Brushless DC motors are generally more expensive than brushed DC motors. This is due to the more complex design and the use of electronic speed control systems in brushless motors. However, the higher efficiency and durability of brushless motors may make them a more cost-effective choice in the long run.