Electric fields - determining k from known data.

In summary, the student is trying to find the constant of proportionality "k" for a set of data. They have determined E=28.12 microcoulomb at (-100, 100), E=7.03 at (-60, 60), and E=2.30 at (0, 0). They are asked to find "k" at (-140, 140), and they are not sure what r(hat) is. They have found k=159.2. They are not sure about their r(hat) variable when they are trying to solve for "k". They understand r(hat) to be the vector pointing from the charge to the other point. For the units of "k", they use
dmullin4

Homework Statement

This is from a lab program for my class. Its set on a grid where I can place charges and use the mouse pointer to find the intensity of the field at any spot. I am using the E values I got from hovering my mouse over the indicated spot (x, y).

I have a positive 10 microcoulomb charge at (-140, 140). I have determined at (-100, 100), E=28.12 microcoulomb. They are asking me to find the constant of proportionality "k" at that point. I also have E=7.03 at (-60, 60), E=2.30 at (0, 0), and E=0.57 at (140, -140).

Homework Equations

E=[k*q*r(hat)]/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

28.12 = [k*10*56.6]/56.6^2
k = 159.2

I'm not sure about my r(hat) variable. I understand it to be the vector pointing from the charge to the other point. I used the distance formula to get r=56.6. q=10 microcoulomb is given in the problem. When I performed this equation for the next data set (-60, 60), I got k=79.5. I thought k would be a constant that was the same for all equations, as in the force equation F=[k*q(1)*q(0)*r(hat)]/r^2 where k = 8.99x10^9.

Is k going to be constant, or will it change with different data?

and

How do I go about finding r(hat)?

and

What would be my units for k? (Nm^2/C^2)?

Physics news on Phys.org
k should be a constant; check your calculations or program results again.
r(hat) is simply the unit vector indicating the direction of the electric field generated by the particle at that point - hence it has a magnitude of one and simply provides direction.
For the units of k, simply use dimensional analysis. (And, E, the electric field strength, is in Newtons per coulomb - force per unit (positive) charge, and not coulombs!)

Yes, k is constant.

To find a unit vector in some direction, divide the vector by its magnitude. For example, take a vector directed along the x-axis <5,0>. Dividing by the magnitude gives you <1,0>, the unit vector directed along the x-axis.

Your units for k are correct.

In this problem, do you need to worry about the directional vector r-hat? What purpose does including r-hat in the formula serve?

Ok, I have recalculated with r(hat)=1 and got my k values to be very similar to each other. For (-100, 100), I got k=9008, for (-60, 60), I got 8992. Are my numbers off from the known value of k because of the microcoulombs? The known value is 8.99x10^6 and I am getting 8.99x10^3 so it makes sense that the micro would account for that.

I'm still not completely understanding the unit vector, r(hat), though. I remember working with the vectors while working with force and such, but they always confused me. If given the magnitudes I can add and multiply them and such, but figuring them out for myself is a bit of a mystery.

***To answer TwoTruths, I was given the formula with my lab assignment.

Last edited:
A unit vector is basically a vector of magnitude 1 that says "go this way pl0x - I won't get in your way". Remember a force on a grid that was written like 5i-hat + 6j-hat? That says: "Please, go 5 units in the direction indicated by i-hat, then go 6 units in the direction indicated by j-hat! By the way, I won't augment your path at all, since my magnitude is 1. Thank you!" When you have the E = stuff * r-hat, you're saying: "The magnitude of E is kq/r^2, and r-hat tells me that it is directed in some direction."

Now then: can you tell me if r-hat matters for your purposes?

Have you done the dimensional analysis suggested by Fightfish? If so, you should know if something is wrong with your units. Remember that dimensional analysis looks like this:

1000 years * 2 decades/20 years = x decades

Include the units with the numbers in your calculations, and remember that k = Nm^2/C^2. Do your units check out? This is often a nice strategy for checking if your final equation for a homework/test problem is correct, by the way. Are my units right? Yes, maybe this is right. No? Dang, I screwed up somewhere. It can also point you in the direction of your mistake. (As in: woops, I found the volume [m^3] instead of the surface area [m^2], that's why I have this extra m left over!)

1. What is the formula for determining the electric field constant (k)?

The formula for determining the electric field constant is k = 1/4πε0, where ε0 is the permittivity of free space, which is approximately 8.85 x 10^-12 C^2/Nm^2.

2. How is the electric field constant (k) related to Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The electric field constant (k) is the proportionality constant in this equation, and it represents the strength of the electric force.

3. Can the electric field constant (k) be measured experimentally?

No, the electric field constant cannot be measured experimentally. It is a constant value that is used in mathematical equations to calculate the strength of electric fields.

4. How does the distance between two point charges affect the value of k?

The value of k is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two point charges. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the value of k decreases, and vice versa.

5. What units is the electric field constant (k) typically measured in?

The electric field constant is typically measured in units of Nm^2/C^2. However, it can also be expressed in terms of other units, such as Jm/C^2, depending on the specific equation being used.