Photon Energies of Hydrogen in the n=6 State

In summary, The n=6 state in hydrogen atoms is a high energy state that allows for the absorption or emission of higher energy photons. The photon energies of this state can be calculated using the Rydberg formula and the electron cannot jump directly to this state, but must pass through intermediate states. The photon energy of n=6 is higher than that of n=5, and studying these energies has practical applications in fields such as spectroscopy and quantum mechanics, as well as helping us understand the behavior of hydrogen atoms.
Jadehaan

Homework Statement

A hydrogen atom is in the n=6 state.

a) Counting all possible paths, how many different photon energies can be emitted if the atom ends up in the ground state?

b) Suppose only[tex]\Delta[/tex]n=1 transitions were allowed. How many different photon energies would be emitted?

c)How many different photon energies would occur in a Thomson-model hydrogen atom?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempts:

a) 11 different photon energies.

b) 5 different photon energies.

c) I do not understand what they are referring to.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that the absorbtion spectrum is all the wave lengths that can leave from the n=1 state to 6

where the emission spectrum is all the possible wave lengths from 6-1, 5-1, 4-1 ect..

use E=hf and v=f(lambda) to find the energies from the wave lengths

At least I think that's how you'd do it,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emission_spectrum

Jadehaan said:
My attempts:

a) 11 different photon energies.

This doesn't look right, but I can't tell you where you've gone wrong if you don't show your work/reasoning. An answer alone does not qualify as a solution:wink:

b) 5 different photon energies.

Good.:approve:

c) I do not understand what they are referring to.

Surely your text/notes have some information on the Thomson-model Hydrogen atom?

For a) I got the possible paths to be
1. from 6 to 1
2. from 6 to 2 to 1
3. from 6 to 3 to 1
4. from 6 to 3 to 2 to 1
5. from 6 to 4 to 1
6. from 6 to 4 to 3 to 1
7. from 6 to 4 to 3 to 2 to 1
8. from 6 to 4 to 2 to 1
9. from 6 to 5 to 1
10. from 6 to 5 to 2 to 1
11. from 6 to 5 to 3 to 1
12. from 6 to 5 to 3 to 2 to 1
13. from 6 to 5 to 4 to 1
14. from 6 to 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 to 1
15. from 6 to 5 to 4 to 3 to 1
16. from 6 to 5 to 4 to 2 to 1

Can I safely assume that these will produce all different photon energies for a total of 16 paths?

c) The Thomson model of a hydrogen atom would have an uniform positive charge. Do I use this to eliminate the Z from En=-(13.6 eV)(Z^2)/(n^2)?

Ok I see now that there is only 1 photon energy from 6 to 1. Since the Thomson model did not take this into account does that mean there are 0 photon energies for that model?

Jadehaan said:
For a) I got the possible paths to be
1. from 6 to 1
2. from 6 to 2 to 1
3. from 6 to 3 to 1
4. from 6 to 3 to 2 to 1
5. from 6 to 4 to 1
6. from 6 to 4 to 3 to 1
7. from 6 to 4 to 3 to 2 to 1
8. from 6 to 4 to 2 to 1
9. from 6 to 5 to 1
10. from 6 to 5 to 2 to 1
11. from 6 to 5 to 3 to 1
12. from 6 to 5 to 3 to 2 to 1
13. from 6 to 5 to 4 to 1
14. from 6 to 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 to 1
15. from 6 to 5 to 4 to 3 to 1
16. from 6 to 5 to 4 to 2 to 1

Can I safely assume that these will produce all different photon energies for a total of 16 paths?

There are 16 possible paths (not counting the paths where the electron temporarily jumps back up a level or 2 before falling again). The question is, "how many unique transitions are there?". Each unique transition (eq. n=2 to n=1 or n=6 to n=3) gives rise to a photon of a different energy/wavelength, while each path includes several transitions, each of which will emit a photon of a certain energy.

c) The Thomson model of a hydrogen atom would have an uniform positive charge. Do I use this to eliminate the Z from En=-(13.6 eV)(Z^2)/(n^2)?

No, that equation is derived from the Bohr model.

In the Thomson model, the frequency of an emitted photon corresponds to the frequency of the electron's orbit. There is only one allowed orbit for Thomson model of Hydrogen, so only one spectral line occurs. In fact, there is no n=6 state at all, so I would say the transition is undefined and leave it at that.

1. What is the significance of the n=6 state in hydrogen atoms?

The n=6 state in hydrogen atoms is one of the higher energy states that an electron can occupy. It is significant because it has a higher energy than the lower states, allowing for the absorption or emission of higher energy photons.

2. How do we calculate the photon energies of hydrogen in the n=6 state?

The photon energies of hydrogen in the n=6 state can be calculated using the Rydberg formula, which states that the energy of a photon is equal to the difference in energy between the initial and final states of the electron. In this case, the final state is n=6 and the initial state can be any lower energy state.

3. Can the electron in a hydrogen atom jump directly from the ground state to the n=6 state?

No, the electron in a hydrogen atom cannot jump directly from the ground state to the n=6 state. It must pass through the intermediate states of n=2, n=3, n=4, and n=5, as the energy difference between these states is equal to the energy of a photon with the appropriate frequency.

4. How does the photon energy of hydrogen in the n=6 state compare to that of the n=5 state?

The photon energy of hydrogen in the n=6 state is higher than that of the n=5 state. This is because the n=6 state has a higher energy level, and therefore a higher energy gap between it and the lower states.

5. What is the practical application of studying the photon energies of hydrogen in the n=6 state?

Studying the photon energies of hydrogen in the n=6 state is important for understanding atomic energy levels and transitions, which has applications in fields such as spectroscopy and quantum mechanics. It also helps us to better understand the behavior of hydrogen atoms, which is the most abundant element in the universe.