PLEASE help me solve this question about friction.

• Thread starter Helpplease
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a beer stein sliding along a bar and coming to rest near a customer. The goal is to find the coefficient of kinetic friction using energy methods or Newton's laws. The participants in the conversation offer suggestions and guidance on how to approach the problem, with one suggesting using the equation vf^2=v0^2+2ax and another suggesting to think about what is known about the object. Eventually, the problem is solved and the participant reflects on what they learned from the experience.
Helpplease
Q1.A bartender slides a beer stein of mass 0.45kg horizontally along the bar with an initial speed of 3.5m/s. The stein comes to rest near the customer after sliding 2.8m. Find the coefficient of kinetic friction.

Please help me >__>

Physics news on Phys.org
Please list your relevant equations and your attempt at a solution, and someone will be glad to help. You can use energy methods or the kinematic equations and Newton's laws.

Thanks for replying but I have no idea how to solve it :(. I fail so much please help.

I can understand the difficulty you may be having with Physics, but it won't do you much good if we just crank out the method and solution for you. Besides, it is against PF policy to just hand out answers. Have you studied energy methods or at least studied the basic kinematic motion equations, and Newton's 2nd law? They are key to getting a grip on the physics of objects in rest or in motion.

From what I know Newton sceond law says when forces are unbalanced a object is accelerating. Also acceleration is directly proportional to force and inversely proportional to mass.Other than that I feel lost in that problem I don't know how to apply the law. :(

Helpplease said:
Other than that I feel lost in that problem I don't know how to apply the law. :(

Think about what do you know about the object. What is it doing? Why is it doing that?

The best thing i could think of is this vf^2=v0^2+2ax

vf=final velocity=0m/s
v0=initial velocity=3.5m/s
a=acceleration= solve for this
x=distance=28m

To find a then multiply it by mass to find force.

Helpplease said:
The best thing i could think of is this vf^2=v0^2+2ax

To find a then multiply it by mass to find force.

Sounds good to me.

I am hopeless after that what do I do?

Helpplease said:
I am hopeless after that what do I do?

Again, think about what you know about the object. What can you think of that applies to this other than Newton's second law?

Nvm found it can you check if its right http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/7161/physics.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, looks good to me. Don't forget to match your significant digits.

Quick question, what did you learn from this?

To know how to apply the formula I guess.

I guess it didn't come out well in text. I mostly meant that humorously.

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the relative motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other.

2. How is friction calculated?

Friction is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction (a dimensionless quantity) by the normal force (the force perpendicular to the surface).

3. What are the different types of friction?

The different types of friction are static friction, kinetic friction, rolling friction, and fluid friction.

4. How does friction affect motion?

Friction can either help or hinder motion. It can help by providing traction, such as when walking on a rough surface. It can hinder by creating resistance, which requires more force to overcome and slows down motion.

5. How can friction be reduced or increased?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants or by polishing surfaces to make them smoother. It can be increased by adding weight or increasing the contact area between two surfaces.