Make a rail gun into a rail motor?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the idea of using a rail gun setup as a motor by turning the rails into hoops and connecting the armature to the center. The group discussed the potential issues with this setup, including the unidirectional magnetic field and high current causing resistance losses and wear on the brushes. It was determined that this setup would not be very useful as a motor and was most similar to a homopolar or Faraday motor.
Mr 4738
I've been thinking about an idea for a while now... what if you take a rail gun set up and instead of shooting something you turn it into a motor. Just make the rails into hoops that almost touch and connect the armature to a point in the center of this. I'm wondering how armature (now a rotor) will react once it picks up speed. Will it go faster and faster because of the speed it gained from its previous revolutions?

I don't know too much about how much power needs to go into these to produce a useful magnetic field... can anyone elaborate?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You seem to be describing an induction motor!

A rail gun is a motor, albeit a linear one. As for the setup you describe in your post, I don't believe it would work if I'm interpreting it correctly. My knowledge of rail guns is limited but as I understand it, a current flows through the rails and the armature forming a magnetic field, and a Lorentz force accelerates the armature along the rails.

In the setup you describe, the Lorentz force on both sides of the rotational axis on the armature would push in the same direction due to the magnetic field inside the rails being unidirectional, therefore it would not spin. Instead, the Lorentz force would try to accelerate the armature along the rails as with a normal rail gun setup, but of course it wouldn't move due to it being attached in the middle.

Excuse me if my terminology is wrong, English is not my first language.

This is not a linear motor, maglev, stepper motor, or induction motor. It is closest to a homopolar motor or Faraday motor, and operates at very low voltages and very high currents. The high current causes high resistance losses in the motor and power supply and a lot of wear on the brushes, while there are few advantages...it is not particularly useful as a motor.

1. How does a rail gun work?

A rail gun works by using electromagnetic forces to propel a projectile at high velocities. Two parallel rails are connected to a power source and a conductive projectile is placed between them. When a current is passed through the rails, it creates a magnetic field that pushes the projectile forward with tremendous force.

2. Can a rail gun be turned into a rail motor?

Technically, yes, a rail gun can be turned into a rail motor by altering the design and components. However, the purpose and function of a rail gun - to launch projectiles - is very different from that of a rail motor, which is used for propulsion. It would require significant modifications and engineering expertise to successfully convert a rail gun into a rail motor.

3. What are the potential benefits of using a rail motor?

A rail motor has the potential to be more efficient and environmentally friendly than traditional combustion engines. It can also provide a smoother and quieter ride, as well as have a longer lifespan due to fewer moving parts.

4. Are there any challenges to developing a rail motor?

One of the main challenges in developing a rail motor is the high cost of materials and technology needed to create the electromagnetic rails. Additionally, there may be safety concerns and regulatory hurdles to overcome, as rail motors would need to operate at high speeds and carry a significant amount of energy.

5. Can a rail motor be used for transportation?

Yes, a rail motor can be used for transportation, and there have been several prototypes and experimental projects using this technology. However, it is still in the early stages of development and has not yet been widely adopted. More research and advancements in the field are necessary before rail motors can be used as a mainstream mode of transportation.