Help With Springs: Answers & Solutions

• Thread starter c31023
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Springs
In summary, springs can hold a certain amount of weight without moving, and the amount of weight that it takes to compress the spring all the way is proportional to the spring rate.
c31023
I think this is in the right section, sorry if it's not. First off, I'll apologize again for not knowing any terminology dealing with springs so I hope you understand what I'm wanting from you. Which is, say you have a circular compression spring that can hold 2 lbs without moving, what amount of weight would it take to compress the spring all the way. Another question I have is, hypothetically if a spring holds 2 lbs without moving and it takes say 50 lbs of weight to compress it all the way, that would mean the spring could provide 2 lbs of lifting power if it were sprung right? Isn't there a ratio to this, like for every 1 lb of support from a spring it takes a certain amount of poundage to compress it? Also what would the unit be for the stored power from a spring lb/ft, or lb/in?
I'd really appreciate it if someone could assist me, thank you. Cory

Engineering news on Phys.org
What you're looking for is the spring rate. In English units (like you're using above), it is generally listed as pounds per inch.

For example, if I have a 4 inch long compression spring with a spring rate of 4 pounds per inch, and I put a 4 pound weight on top of it, the spring will compress 1 inch, because at 1 inch of compression, the spring will be exerting 4 pounds of force.

Spring theory gets very complex, but that should answer your question.

Thank you very much, I've been wondering about this.

Bigaggie, in your example of a 4 inch long compression spring that has a spring rate of 4 lbs per inch you put 4 lbs on it and it compressed 1 inch. Say that the 4 inch spring was compressed 1 inch and the spring stayed compressed while the weight was lifted off, then the spring was released, how much weight by way of the stored energy would the spring be capable of lifting for that one inch? I'm assuming it's got to be less than the 4 lbs, right? thanks again cory

To clarify, you're scenario is a spring with a rate of 4 lbs per inch compressed one inch, held in place at its compressed state, and then released, and you want to know the maximum load it could move back to its uncompressed state? I will assume that the spring is also acting against gravity.

Theoretically, there is no load that would allow the spring to return to its uncompressed state. For example, if I used a weight of 2 lbs, the spring would have to support that 2 lbs. From Hooke's Law, the spring force is equal to the spring rate multiplied by the amount of deflection (in this case, compression). So with a force of 2 lbs, and a rate of 4 lbs, dividing the two will yield .5 inches. So in theory, any time you put a weight on that spring, it will deflect from its natural state.

Now if you make the spring act in the horizontal, that's a totally different story altogether, because now you're no longer acting against the full weight of the object, simply its inertia and the friction against it. We'd have to be a lot more specific before we could really say what would happen there.

1. What are the different types of springs?

There are several types of springs including compression springs, extension springs, torsion springs, and constant force springs. Each type of spring is designed for a specific application and has unique properties.

2. How do I determine the spring rate?

The spring rate is determined by dividing the force applied to the spring by the distance the spring is compressed or extended. This value is typically measured in units of pounds per inch (lb/in) or newtons per millimeter (N/mm).

3. How can I calculate the maximum load a spring can handle?

The maximum load a spring can handle is determined by its maximum safe stress and the cross-sectional area of the spring. The formula for calculating this is load = maximum safe stress * cross-sectional area.

4. How do I choose the right spring for my application?

Choosing the right spring for your application depends on several factors, including the amount of force needed, the size and shape of the object being moved, and the available space for the spring. It is best to consult with a spring manufacturer or engineer for help in selecting the appropriate spring.

5. Can springs be customized for specific applications?

Yes, springs can be customized for specific applications. This can include altering the dimensions, material, or design of the spring to meet the unique needs of a particular application. Custom springs can be made by a spring manufacturer or through a process called spring design and analysis.