Lift and Drag coefficient equation in terms of pressure

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's search for lift and drag coefficients in terms of pressure. They have found multiple equations for these coefficients and plan to use them in their MS project using LabVIEW. The equations for cl and cd are given, but the speaker is unsure if they are correct and asks for confirmation or the correct equations. They also mention being out of school for 5 years and not remembering the basics of their BS degree, and are advised to consult a book on aerodynamics instead of relying on the internet.
spacegirl101
I have been trying to find lift and drag coefficients in terms of pressure. So far I have found multiple equations. Below is what I have found after multiple research on the web. I am using these equations in LabVIEW. My input is going to be upper and lower surface pressure and I have to find cl and cd from pressure values in LabVIEW. Here are the equations for cd and cl.

lift coefficient= integral [cp,l(x) - cp,u(x)]d(x/c)
drag coefficient = 0.5*integral[cp*cos(x)]dx

I am not sure if these equations are right or wrong. If they are wrong, can you please provide correct equations? I need these for my MS project. I have been out of school for almost 5 years now and I do not remember all the basics from my BS degree as I have not used my BS knowledge at all in last 5 years.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Likes kevinlee96
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hint: lift is the closed loop integral of the pressure along the surface of the wing.

I'm quite shocked you're asking such a basic question at the masters level. This is quite literally an undergraduate lab course question.

Last edited:
Crack open a book on aerodynamics. Wikipedia and the internet are no substitute for real learning.

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/dl/free/0072472367/211346/Chapter_11.ppt" ==> right click ==> save as

Marq

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the lift coefficient equation in terms of pressure?

The lift coefficient equation in terms of pressure is: CL = L / (0.5 * ρ * V^2 * A), where CL is the lift coefficient, L is the lift force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the velocity, and A is the reference area.

What is the drag coefficient equation in terms of pressure?

The drag coefficient equation in terms of pressure is: CD = D / (0.5 * ρ * V^2 * A), where CD is the drag coefficient, D is the drag force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the velocity, and A is the reference area.

How is pressure related to lift and drag coefficients?

Pressure is related to lift and drag coefficients through the equation: P = 0.5 * ρ * V^2 * CL/CD, where P is the pressure and CL/CD is the ratio of the lift coefficient to the drag coefficient.

What factors affect the lift and drag coefficients?

The lift and drag coefficients are affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the object, the speed of the fluid, and the properties of the fluid (such as density and viscosity).

How do lift and drag coefficients impact the aerodynamics of an object?

Lift and drag coefficients play a crucial role in determining the aerodynamics of an object. They determine the amount of lift and drag forces acting on the object, which in turn affect its motion and stability in a fluid. Higher lift coefficients result in greater lift forces, while higher drag coefficients result in greater drag forces, both of which can impact the overall performance and efficiency of the object.