Mean velocity for parabolic velocity profile

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of velocity as a function of distance from the channel edges in laminar fluid flow devices. The effect of parabolic velocity profile is considered negligible, and the average velocity is measured perpendicular to the flow direction. The expression for relating mean velocity and maximum velocity is derived, resulting in u[mean]=(2/3)*u[max]. The individual is unsure of their result and is seeking clarification.
stephenx_86
Hi,

I'm making laminar fluid flow devices and want to be able to calculate the velocity as a function of distance from the channel edges. As the channels are relatively wide compared to their height I'm treating the effect of the parabolic velocity profile as negligible in the horizontal plane (i.e. uniform velocity horizontally). I can measure the average velocity across a plane perpendicular to the direction of flow (from the flow rate), but can't seem to derive the expression that relates mean velocity and maximum velocity (which I believe should be u[mean]=0.5*u[max]). I'm sure I'm probably making a really basic mistake, but here's my working, which ends up giving me u[mean]=(2/3)*u[max]

Where u is the velocity as a function of position relative to the channel centre; r is the distance from the channel centre and R is maximum distance from the channel centre (i.e. the channel is 2*R) wide.

u=u[max]*(1-(r/R)^2)

integrate to give:

u[net] = u[max]*(r-(r^3)/(3*(R^2)))

evaluate between R and -R to give:

u[net] = u[max]*(4/3)*R

divide by the channel width to give the average velocity (u[mean])

u[mean] = 2/3*u[max]

If anyone could tell me where I'm going wrong I'd be really greatful, as I can't see why I don't end up with u[mean]=1/2*u[max], which is what I keep getting for the relationship when I look it up online.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
your result is correct

1. What is the definition of mean velocity for parabolic velocity profile?

The mean velocity for parabolic velocity profile is the average velocity of a fluid flow over a specified distance, assuming that the velocity profile follows a parabolic distribution.

2. How is the mean velocity for parabolic velocity profile calculated?

The mean velocity for parabolic velocity profile is calculated by taking the integral of the velocity profile over the specified distance and dividing it by the distance.

3. What is the significance of mean velocity for parabolic velocity profile in fluid mechanics?

The mean velocity for parabolic velocity profile is an important parameter in fluid mechanics as it gives an indication of the overall flow rate and the distribution of velocities within the flow.

4. Can the mean velocity for parabolic velocity profile change in different flow conditions?

Yes, the mean velocity for parabolic velocity profile can change in different flow conditions, such as changes in fluid viscosity, density, or flow rate. It can also be affected by obstacles or irregularities in the flow.

5. How does the mean velocity for parabolic velocity profile relate to other velocity profiles?

The mean velocity for parabolic velocity profile is a simplified model of the velocity distribution in a fluid flow, and it is often used as a reference for comparison with other velocity profiles, such as turbulent or laminar profiles.