Woese's Evolutionary Model: A Closer Look

• Thread starter iansmith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evolution
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between the classical model of evolution and the Woese model, which is based on 16/18 rRNA. The Woese model is considered to be more accurate and is accompanied by a proposed model for cell evolution. The conversation also touches on the awareness of the Woese model and where people have learned about it. The links provided offer more information on the topic.

Have you ever heard of Woese's Model of Evolution

• Yes

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
iansmith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have observed that many people have question about evolution. When I look back at high school we got to learn the classical model (see diagram below) of evolution and this model was also though in the university level zoology and plant biology whereas in microbiology we got to learn the Woese model of evolution based on 16/18 rRNA (the paper for the propose model is free on this site http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pubmed&pubmedid=2112744) rather than the classical model. Woese model of evolution (the attach picture show his proposed model) is more accurate than the classical model. Woese also proposed a model for cell evolution that goes with his evolution tree. Here a link for the paper and it's free http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pubmed&pubmedid=12077305

What I was wodering is how many people are aware of Woese model of evolution?

If you know Woese's model where did you learn about it.
If you never hear of Woese's model would you be interrested in learning more (maybe I'll write a paper).

Classical Model of Evolution (I simplified the model therefore it's not as accurate as desired)

Plant Animal Fungi
| | |
| | |
| | |
|__________|______________|
|
Protozoan
|
|
Bacteria
|
|
ArcheaBacteria
|
First single Cell

Additional link for Woese model
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pubmed&pubmedid=10900003 (Interpreting the universal phylogenetic tree)
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pubmed&pubmedid=11537862 (On the Nature of Global Classification)

Attachments

• woesethree.jpg
    woesethree.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 410
Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
I see the woese picture of Evolution everywhere, but I have never heard it referred to as the woese model before...

I did also know of a study of evolution being done based on 16/18 RNA.

But yeah, that's about it. I think I just heard about it briefly a few times over during the course of my degree...

Originally posted by Another God
I see the woese picture of Evolution everywhere, but I have never heard it referred to as the woese model before...

It does not matte if you saw Woese name ore not. What I was wondering was if people saw the tree or not before, because it change you perception of evolution.

Seen the tree, yes. The name "Woese", no.

1. What is Woese's Evolutionary Model?

Woese's Evolutionary Model, proposed by microbiologist Carl Woese in the 1970s, is a classification system for all living organisms based on the analysis of their genetic makeup.

2. How does Woese's Evolutionary Model differ from traditional classification systems?

Traditional classification systems, such as the Linnaean system, classify organisms based on physical characteristics. Woese's model, on the other hand, uses genetic information to classify organisms, giving a more accurate representation of their evolutionary relationships.

3. What is the basis of Woese's Evolutionary Model?

Woese's model is based on the analysis of a specific type of genetic material called ribosomal RNA (rRNA). This is because rRNA is found in all living organisms and evolves at a slow and steady rate, making it a reliable indicator of evolutionary relationships.

4. How does Woese's Evolutionary Model classify organisms?

Woese's model classifies organisms into three domains: Bacteria, Archaea, and Eukarya. These domains are further divided into kingdoms, phyla, classes, and so on, based on their genetic similarities and differences.

5. What impact has Woese's Evolutionary Model had on our understanding of evolution?

Woese's model has revolutionized our understanding of evolution by providing a more accurate and detailed classification system. It has also revealed the vast diversity of microorganisms and their crucial role in the functioning of ecosystems. Additionally, it has challenged our traditional view of the tree of life, showing that all living organisms are connected through a complex web of evolutionary relationships.