3 cube roots, 4 fourth roots, and N nth-roots of -1

• Thread starter MWidhalm18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cube Roots
In summary, the questions in this class are very difficult and require knowledge that the majority of the students in the class do not have.
MWidhalm18
My "Computational World" class is supposedly an intro to computer science without programming, but the questions are all over the place. I'm completely stuck on this question:

Show expressions for:
(a). 3 cube roots of -1
(b). 4 fourth roots of -1
(c). In the general case, N nth-roots of -1

My professor said that we could use graphs with vectors. He showed us an example of the 3 cube roots of 1, but I have no idea what any of that meant. I unfortunately have no work to show for my attempt because I have no idea what he means. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
The Electrician said:
Everything you need to know is explained here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_of_unity

Sorry, but that actually doesn't help at all. I have no idea what 98% of that article is saying

Do you know what imaginary numbers are? Have you studied complex arithmetic?

The Electrician said:
Do you know what imaginary numbers are? Have you studied complex arithmetic?

The class is a 1000 level course and the professor assumes absolutely no mathematical or physics knowledge beforehand. I have taken algebra, trig, and calc but it was at least 2 years ago and I don't want to make the problem harder than I need to. It's very basic

Boy, this is going to be a tough one. I don't know how you can represent all the nth roots of -1 without the use of imaginary (or complex) numbers.

To find these roots uses the square root of -1, otherwise you just can't do it.

Here are some links to show the use of graphs and vectors to represent imaginary numbers. Maybe they will help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argand_diagram

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/A/Argand_diagram.html

http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/ArgandDiagram/

form the corresponding polynomial equation and find all the roots through analytic factoring. for n=1...4 this isn't too difficult, but for larger n, i wouldn't do this. at the very least you need to know what complex number is and why they come up in polynomial equations.

1. What is the definition of a cube root?

A cube root is the number that, when multiplied by itself three times, gives the original number. For example, the cube root of 27 is 3, because 3 x 3 x 3 = 27.

2. How do you find the fourth root of a number?

To find the fourth root of a number, you can use the power rule for roots. For example, to find the fourth root of 16, you can rewrite 16 as 2^4 and then take the fourth root of both sides, giving you 2 as the answer.

3. What is the relationship between nth roots and exponents?

The nth root of a number is equivalent to raising that number to the power of 1/n. For example, the fourth root of 16 is equivalent to 16^(1/4).

4. How do you calculate the value of a negative nth root?

To calculate the value of a negative nth root, you can use the following formula: (-1)^(1/n). For example, to find the value of the cube root of -1, you would calculate (-1)^(1/3), which equals -1.

5. Can there be more than one nth root of a negative number?

Yes, there can be multiple nth roots of a negative number. This is because for any positive number, there are two possible values for its square root (positive and negative). Similarly, for any positive number, there are n possible values for its nth root. So for a negative number, there can be up to n distinct nth roots.