Acceleration in an accelerated reference frame? Yes/no/maybe?

In summary, the question is about calculating the time it would take for a 200g wallet to hit the floor of a lift accelerating downwards at 5ms, assuming gravity is 9.8ms. The answer can be found by using the formula x=ut+1/2at^2 and factoring in the relative acceleration of g-a = 4.8. This is a common topic in physics and understanding the concept of relative acceleration is key to solving this problem.
bigdog989
Hi, my question is this, say you’re in a lift that is accelerating downwards at 5ms and you were to drop a 200g wallet from say 1.3m off the floor of the lift, assuming gravity is 9.8ms, how long would it take the wallet to hit the floor of the lift?

Does the downwards acceleration of the life affect the time taken, I am so unsure?

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like homework, bigdog989. Our policy on homework is pretty simple: We help you do your homework. We do not do it for you. You need to show some work on this topic before we can help you.

Oh fair enough, it's not really homework though, it's a question I found while reading up on referrence frams, but it gave no answer, as a student studying phyics it seemed quite interesting and I just want to find out how it all works, problem is I'm not entirely sure where to start, if they both started at rest this would be simeple but they don't

I'm sorry again I probably should have posted this in the homework section anyway

Think about it. If the lift accelerates downwards really quickly, do you feel lighter or heavier? The apparent force divided by mass is equal to acceleration. In this case, acceleration would be g-a: gravity provides g, but the elevator is accelerating at a, so the relative acceleration is g-a.

Oh ok, so I guess I’ve been over complicating this whole problem, you feel lighter as a lift accelerates downwards, thus you feel less acceleration..

So for this situation g-a = 9.8-5 = 4.8

Then I’d use
x=ut+1/2at^2
1.3=1/2 * 2.8 *t^2
1.3=1.4t^2
1.3/1.4=t^2
sqrt(1.3/1.4)=t

Would this be the way to work it out?

1. What is an accelerated reference frame?

An accelerated reference frame is a frame of reference in which an object's velocity changes over time. This can be due to a change in speed or direction.

2. How is acceleration measured in an accelerated reference frame?

Acceleration in an accelerated reference frame is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2). It can also be measured in other units such as feet per second squared (ft/s^2) or kilometers per hour squared (km/h^2).

3. Can objects accelerate in an accelerated reference frame without a force acting on them?

No, according to Newton's Second Law of Motion, an object can only accelerate if there is a net force acting on it. In an accelerated reference frame, this can be due to a change in the frame's velocity or a force acting on the object within the frame.

4. Does acceleration in an accelerated reference frame affect an object's mass?

No, acceleration in an accelerated reference frame does not affect an object's mass. Mass is a property of an object and remains constant regardless of the reference frame it is in.

5. Can objects experience different accelerations in an accelerated reference frame?

Yes, objects can experience different accelerations in an accelerated reference frame. This is because acceleration is dependent on the object's mass and the net force acting on it, which can vary for different objects within the frame.