Real & Imaginary Parts of Complex Signals Explained

• Thread starter inadaze
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Imaginary
In summary: The real part can be positioned along the real axis. Complex signals are represented by numbers in the form of z = a + ib where i = √-1. The "a" represents the real part and the "ib" represents the imaginary part. The imaginary part of a complex signal is often denoted as Im(z) and is a real number. To find the real part of a complex signal, you can use the formula Re(z) = (z + z*) / 2. To find the imaginary part, you can use the formula Im(z) = (z - z*) / 2i. The complex-conjugate of a complex signal is represented by z*, and it can be used to find both the real
inadaze
Hey,
I was wondering if anyone could explain to me the meaning of "real and imaginary parts of a complex signal"?

Thanks
Jay

Mathematics news on Phys.org
im going to ignore the signal part..

but in a form of say z = a + ib where i= [tex] \sqrt{-1} [/tex]

the a is the real part, and
the ib is the imaginary

cronxeh said:
im going to ignore the signal part..

but in a form of say z = a + ib where i= [tex] \sqrt{-1} [/tex]

the a is the real part, and
the ib is the imaginary

In some textbooks, the "Imaginary Part of z" is defined Im(z)=b, a real number.
So, z=Re(z)+i Im(z).

Using the notation z* for the "complex-conjugate of z"...
To determine Re(z) from z, use Re(z)=(z+z*)/2.
To determine Im(z) from z, use Im(z)=(z-z*)/2i.

laymen

Thanks for your reply.
What I failed to mention was that I have a very low understanding of math. Could you explain that again in laymen terms.

Thanks
Jay

If you can provide us some context for where you read this quote, we can probably be more helpful. Normally complex numbers are used to simplify the mathematical treatment of engineering problems, but all physically possible signals are real only.

- Warren

In the complex number system, there are two axes: the horizontal real axis and the vertical imaginary axis. The imaginary part of a number can be ositioned along the imaginary axis.

What are real and imaginary parts of complex signals?

The real and imaginary parts of a complex signal are two components that make up a complex number. The real part represents the horizontal component of the signal, while the imaginary part represents the vertical component.

Why are real and imaginary parts important in complex signals?

Real and imaginary parts are important because they allow us to represent complex signals in a two-dimensional space, making them easier to analyze and understand.

How are real and imaginary parts calculated?

The real part is calculated by taking the cosine of the angle between the complex number and the real axis on the complex plane. The imaginary part is calculated by taking the sine of the angle.

What is the relationship between real and imaginary parts?

The real and imaginary parts of a complex signal are orthogonal to each other, meaning they are perpendicular. This allows us to visualize the complex signal as a vector on the complex plane.

Can real and imaginary parts of a complex signal have negative values?

Yes, both real and imaginary parts can have negative values. This is represented by the direction in which the vector points on the complex plane.