Plotting a Suitable Graph to find Emissivity of Tungsten Filament

In summary: Hi, thanks for your response. So does 0.6 seem like a resonable value for the emissivity of a tungsten filament? Because online I've seen quite a range of values, but none as high as 0.6, and I'm pretty much certain the rest of the calculations are correct.Also could you please explain to me why because i would have though lnA would be essentially the lnm from y =mx + b form. Hence if i ignore the ln Q and ln theta, the intercept of this new graph should be the log of the gradient of the first? I tried it with some basic examples like y=2x and y=x^3 and it seemed to work,
Invertedzero
Plotting a suitable graph to find emissivity of tungsten
It is given that:

Q = pσ2πal(T^4 - t^4)

Where Q is the Energy Loss Rate, p is Emissivity and T,t are the wire and room temperature. Other symbols are constant.

I have data for Q and (T^4- t^4), which for simplification purposes i'll call Θ.

I need to find p, which is the best way of plotting data to do this?

1/ Plotting Q against Θ -> Linear Line of Best Fit -> Gradient dQ/dΘ = pσ2πal -> (p = 0.61)

2/ Plotting lnQ against lnΘ -> Linear Line of Best Fit -> Intercept = ln(pσ2πal) -> (p = 0.052)

I may be overlooking something, but i don't understand why they get different values and which is correct, or if there's a silly step in the algebra. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm a bit stuck. If it could also be explained why one is more appropriate, and why the other isn't, if it isn't, that's also be helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Invertedzero said:
Plotting a suitable graph to find emissivity of tungsten
It is given that:

Q = pσ2πal(T^4 - t^4)

Where Q is the Energy Loss Rate, p is Emissivity and T,t are the wire and room temperature. Other symbols are constant.

I have data for Q and (T^4- t^4), which for simplification purposes i'll call Θ.I need to find p, which is the best way of plotting data to do this?

1/ Plotting Q against Θ -> Linear Line of Best Fit -> Gradient dQ/dΘ = pσ2πal -> (p = 0.61)

2/ Plotting lnQ against lnΘ -> Linear Line of Best Fit -> Intercept = ln(pσ2πal) -> (p = 0.052)I may be overlooking something, but i don't understand why they get different values and which is correct, or if there's a silly step in the algebra. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm a bit stuck. If it could also be explained why one is more appropriate, and why the other isn't, if it isn't, that's also be helpful.

Method 1 is right since you have [tex] Q = A\theta [/tex] and thus is in the form y = mx + b, b = 0 and A = the slope of the line. There is no reason to take the natural log of both sides, it just makes your job harder. Also,
[tex] lnQ = \ln(A\theta) = lnA + ln\theta [/tex] Which is not the same as y = mx + b.

zachzach said:
Method 1 is right since you have [tex] Q = A\theta [/tex] and thus is in the form y = mx + b, b = 0 and A = the slope of the line. There is no reason to take the natural log of both sides, it just makes your job harder. Also,
[tex] lnQ = \ln(A\theta) = lnA + ln\theta [/tex] Which is not the same as y = mx + b.

Hi, thanks for your response. So does 0.6 seem like a resonable value for the emissivity of a tungsten filament? Because online I've seen quite a range of values, but none as high as 0.6, and I'm pretty much certain the rest of the calculations are correct.

Also could you please explain to me why

because i would have though lnA would be essentially the lnm from y =mx + b form. Hence if i ignore the ln Q and ln theta, the intercept of this new graph should be the log of the gradient of the first? I tried it with some basic examples like y=2x and y=x^3 and it seemed to work, but with the experimental calculations I've made the two results of dQ/dtheta and the log method don't correlate, and I'm trying to figure out which is wrong.

1. How do I plot a graph to find the emissivity of a tungsten filament?

To plot a suitable graph to find the emissivity of a tungsten filament, you will first need to collect data on the temperature of the filament and the corresponding amount of thermal radiation it emits. This data can be obtained using a thermocouple and a pyrometer. Once you have the data, plot the temperature on the x-axis and the thermal radiation on the y-axis. This will give you a curve, and the slope of this curve will represent the emissivity of the tungsten filament.

2. What is emissivity and why is it important to determine it for a tungsten filament?

Emissivity is the measure of an object's ability to emit thermal radiation, compared to a perfect blackbody. It is important to determine the emissivity of a tungsten filament as it affects its efficiency and performance in applications such as incandescent light bulbs and heating elements. A higher emissivity means the filament will emit more thermal radiation, making it more efficient.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the graph for finding the emissivity of a tungsten filament?

The accuracy of the graph can be affected by factors such as the accuracy of the temperature and thermal radiation measurements, the uniformity of the filament's surface, and the presence of any external sources of heat or radiation. It is important to control these factors as much as possible to ensure the accuracy of the graph.

4. Can I use a different method to determine the emissivity of a tungsten filament?

Yes, there are other methods for determining the emissivity of a tungsten filament, such as using a spectrophotometer or fitting the thermal radiation data to a theoretical equation. However, plotting a graph is a simple and effective method that can be easily performed in a laboratory setting.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take while plotting the graph for finding the emissivity of a tungsten filament?

Yes, it is important to take necessary safety precautions while working with high temperatures and thermal radiation. Make sure to wear appropriate protective gear, such as heat-resistant gloves and goggles. Also, handle the equipment carefully to avoid any accidents or burns.