Link between magnet field from a wire and inside a capactior

In summary, a current flowing through a wire creates a magnetic field, which can induce an electric field in a nearby capacitor. This principle of electromagnetic induction means that there is a direct link between the magnetic and electric fields. However, the magnetic field does not directly affect the capacitance of a capacitor. The strength of the magnetic field decreases with distance, following the inverse square law. The direction of the magnetic field can affect the direction of the induced electric field in the capacitor, determined by the right-hand rule.
Ajs51
The magnetic field Bw is measured at a distance b from the centre of a long thin wire.
The magnetic field Bc is also measure inside the capacitor plates at a distance b from the
axis of the capacitor, where b is less than the radius "a" of the plates. using Maxwell's
equations, show that Bw and Bc change with time in the same way.
Explain qualitatively why this is so.

Maxwell's equation

Basically I get the Bw to B=u0*I(t)/(2*pi*b), I get Bc as uo*I(t)*b/(2*pi*R^2)

But I am stuck on what to do next

Physics news on Phys.org
.To answer the question, it can be shown that the magnetic field (Bw) at a distance b from the long thin wire, and the magnetic field (Bc) inside the capacitor plates, both change with time in the same way. This is due to the fact that both fields are generated by electric currents, which change with time according to Maxwell's equations. Since electric currents are related to magnetic fields, changes in the electric current will cause corresponding changes in the magnitude of the magnetic field. Therefore, both Bw and Bc will change with time in the same way.

1. How does a magnetic field from a wire affect a capacitor?

When a current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. This magnetic field can induce an electric field in a nearby capacitor, causing it to store energy.

2. Is there a direct link between the magnetic field from a wire and the electric field inside a capacitor?

Yes, the magnetic field from a wire can induce an electric field in a capacitor, and vice versa. This is due to the principle of electromagnetic induction.

3. Can the magnetic field from a wire change the capacitance of a capacitor?

No, the magnetic field does not directly affect the capacitance of a capacitor. However, it can indirectly affect the capacitance by changing the amount of charge stored in the capacitor through induction.

4. How does the distance between the wire and capacitor affect the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field decreases as the distance between the wire and capacitor increases. This is because the magnetic field follows the inverse square law, meaning that it decreases by the square of the distance.

5. Does the direction of the magnetic field affect the electric field inside a capacitor?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field can affect the direction of the induced electric field in a capacitor. This is determined by the right-hand rule, where the direction of the induced electric field is perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the direction of the current in the wire.