Finding the Derivative of a Square Root Function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of f(x) = x^(1/2) instead of f(x) = x^-2. The suggested approach is to rationalize the numerator of [ (x+h)^1/2 - (x)^1/2 ]/ h.
gomes.
function --- derivative (help!)

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/705/123gm.jpg

but instead of f(x)=x^-2, let f(x) = x^(1/2 )

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I did

[ (x+h)^1/2 - (x)^1/2 ]/ h

But I am not sure how to simplify it. What would be my next step? Thanks a lot :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

gomes. said:

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/705/123gm.jpg

but instead of f(x)=x^-2, let f(x) = x^(1/2 )

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I did

[ (x+h)^1/2 - (x)^1/2 ]/ h

But I am not sure how to simplify it. What would be my next step? Thanks a lot :)

Rationalize the numerator. (Like rationalizing the denominator, only opposite) :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ah okay, yea I got it now. thanks :)

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It tells us how much the output of a function changes with respect to the input.

2. How do you find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the derivative rules such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules help you find the derivative of a function by manipulating its algebraic expression.

3. What is the significance of derivatives in real life?

Derivatives have many applications in real life, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They help us understand the rate of change of various quantities and make predictions about the future behavior of a system.

4. What is the difference between a derivative and an antiderivative?

A derivative represents the rate of change of a function, while an antiderivative represents the original function before differentiation. In other words, an antiderivative is the inverse operation of differentiation.

5. Can you find the derivative of any function?

In theory, yes, we can find the derivative of any function. However, in practice, some functions may be too complex to differentiate using the derivative rules. In such cases, we can use numerical methods or approximation techniques to find the derivative.