Tension / Equilibrium Question

In summary, the force of tension in the clothesline is equal to 46 N / sin(25°) or approximately 54 N. This tension is present on both sides of the line, with each side contributing 23 N to support the weight. However, since tension is an internal force, it cannot be added to determine the overall line tension.
daysrunaway

Homework Statement

A load on which the force of gravity is 46 N hands from the centre of a frictionless clothesline, pulling its centre down so that each half of the line makes an angle of 25° with the horizontal. What is the force of tension in the line?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Y = FT - FG
= 2FTsin25° - FG

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that FT is equal to 46 N / 2sin25° [tex]\approx[/tex] 54 N. However, I don't understand if this is the force of tension in each half of the line, or through the whole line. Can someone help me understand this?

Thanks.

Michael

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you've calculated the tension in one of the lines.
You can calculate both of them by removing the 2 from the denominator.

I approached it like this: If the weight is 46N, then each side of the line is contributing 23N to supporting it. That means that the vertical component of the tension in one side of the line is 23N, so 23/sin(25) = F_T in one side. This is clearly the same as your expression.

The tension on both sides of the hanging weight are the same. But you can't add them to get the line tension. The line tension is an internal force. At any point on the clothesline, the line tension is___________??

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is exerted by a string, rope, or cable when it is pulled tight from both ends. It is directed along the length of the string and can vary in magnitude depending on the amount of force applied.

2. How is tension different from compression?

Tension and compression are both types of forces that act on an object. While tension pulls the object apart, compression pushes the object together. In terms of equilibrium, an object is in tension when the forces acting on it are pulling in opposite directions, while it is in compression when the forces are pushing in opposite directions.

3. What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium is a state in which all the forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net force and no acceleration. In other words, the object is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

4. How is tension related to equilibrium?

In a system where tension is present, the object will only be in equilibrium if the tension forces acting on it are equal and opposite. This means that the net force on the object is zero, resulting in a state of static equilibrium where the object remains at rest.

5. How can tension be calculated?

Tension can be calculated using the formula T = mg + ma, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the object. Alternatively, tension can also be calculated using the formula T = F / A, where F is the applied force and A is the cross-sectional area of the object.