Pi's connection to e, and its ubiquity in math

• Thread starter mrwl2001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Connection
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between pi and a simple differential equation, as well as its connection to the exponential function and trigonometric functions. The solutions to the differential equations are also explored, and the concept of operator calculus is mentioned as a way to understand the relationship between the two. A link to a resource on this topic is also shared.
mrwl2001
As a freshman in college, I was wondering, is pi's connection with the very simple differential equation [tex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}[/tex] = -y with initial condition that (0,0) be included (or even if that is not the case a connection can be made) the reason it is so ubiquitous in mathematics. This of course implies that a circle is just a specific case that utilizes this differential equation. Pi can be defined in my head as the difference between x's of sequential zeros in the solution above.

So really what I am asking of people is to explain to me anything related to this in higher level mathematics perhaps that I would not have come by or thought of. And by the way this is just my own random thinking, nobody has taught me anything about pi in this manner.

The solution of the differential equation [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = y with initial condition that (0,1) be included, looks very similar to the equation above, and of course the solution to this equation is the exponential function, e[tex]^{x}[/tex].

Thank you in advanced, Matt.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I would say this "explains" the relationship between e and [itex]\pi[/itex] but in terms of complex numbers, [itex]e^x[/itex] and the trig functions are essentially the same function!
That is [itex]e^{x+ iy}= e^x(cos(y)+ i sin(y))[/itex]. In particular, [itex]e^z[/itex] where z= x+ iy is exactly like [itex]e^x[/itex] on the "real axis" (where y= 0) and exactly like [itex]cos(y+ i sin(y)[/itex] on the imaginary axis (where x= 0).

Yes, the solution to the differential equation dy/dx= y is [itex]Ce^x[/itex] and the general solution to the differentential equation [itex]d^2y/dx^2= y[/itex] is [itex]Ce^x+ De^{-x}[/itex]. If you were to "try" a solution of the form [itex]y= e^{rx}[/itex] then you would have [itex]y'= re^{rx}[/itex] and [itex]y"= r^2e^{rx}[/itex]. Putting that into dy/dx= y, you would have [itex]re^{rx}= e^{rx}[/itex] and since [itex]e^{rx}[/itex] is never 0, you can divide through by it leaving the "characteristic" equation [itex]r= 1[/itex]. Doing the same with [itex]d^2y/dx^2= y[/itex] you get [itex]r^2e^{rx}= e^{rx} for "characteristic equation" r^2= 1 which has roots 1 and -1: [itex]e^{1x}= e^x[/itex] and [itex]e^{-1x}= e^{-x}[/itex]. If you do the same with [itex]d^2y/dx^2= -y[/itex] the "characteristic equation" is [itex]r^2= -1[/itex] which has roots i and -i. That is the solutions are \(\displaystyle e^{ix}\) and \(\displaystyle e^{-ix}\). But \(\displaystyle e^{ix}= cos(x)+ i sin(x)\) and \(\displaystyle e^{-ix}= cos(x)- i sin(x)\) so those solutions can be written in terms of sine and cosine.

you can try the operator calculus where the exponentials come as a natural answer rather than clever guesses.

I remember someone posted quite some time ago. There must be a link to it on this forum

EDIT: Here it is :
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=54055

Read the pdf in the second post.

1. What is the connection between Pi and e in mathematics?

The connection between Pi and e is that they are both irrational numbers that are commonly used in mathematical calculations. Pi (π) is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter, while e is the base of the natural logarithm and is used to calculate exponential growth and decay.

2. Why is Pi often referred to as the "most famous" irrational number?

Pi is often referred to as the "most famous" irrational number because it is a fundamental constant that appears in many important mathematical formulas and theories, such as geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. It has also captured the interest of mathematicians and non-mathematicians alike due to its seemingly never-ending decimal representation.

3. How is Pi related to the concept of circles?

Pi is related to the concept of circles because it represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. This means that no matter the size of the circle, the ratio of its circumference to its diameter will always be equal to Pi. This relationship is used in many practical applications, such as calculating the area and volume of circles and spheres.

4. Why is Pi considered a transcendental number?

Pi is considered a transcendental number because it is an irrational number that cannot be expressed as a finite or repeating decimal. This means that it goes on infinitely without any discernible pattern. It was proven to be a transcendental number in 1882 by mathematician Ferdinand von Lindemann.

5. In what other areas of math is Pi used, besides geometry and trigonometry?

Pi is used in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, number theory, and statistics. It is also used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to make calculations and predictions. Pi is a fundamental constant that appears in various mathematical formulas and is an integral part of many mathematical theories and concepts.