Lines and Planes in Space - HELP SOON

In summary, the conversation discusses five problems in Calculus III, seeking help and clarification on each one. The first problem involves determining if two lines are parallel, using direction vectors. The second problem is to write an equation for a plane that contains a given point and line. The third problem involves finding an equation for a plane perpendicular to two given planes. The fourth problem is to find an equation for a plane passing through two given points and parallel to the intersection of two planes. The final problem is to prove that two lines intersect and find an equation for the plane containing both lines.
justagirl
I am very confused regarding a few problems in Calculus III. Any help
or
hints to any of these would be greatly appreciated!

1.) Are lines L1 and L2 parallel?

L1: (x-7)/6 = (y+5)/4 = -(z-9)/8;
L2: -(x-11)/9 = -(y-7)/6 = (z-13)/12;

The answer says that they are parallel, which I don`t understand. I
know 2
lines are parallel if their direction vectors are parallel, but in this
case V1 = <6, 4, -8>, and V2 = <9, -6, 12>. So they are not multiples
of
each other and thus I didn`t think they are parallel. What am I
missing?

2.) Write an equation of the plane that contains both the point P and
the
line L:

P(2,4,6);
L: x = 7-3t, y = 3+4t, z = 5 + 2t;

I know to write an equation of the plane you need a direction vector
and a
point. I tried using <-3,4,2> crossed with <2,4,6> as my normal vector
and
<2,4,6> as my (X0, Y0, Z0). But I got the wrong answer...

3.) Find an equation of the plane through P(3,3,1) that is
perpendicular
to the planes x+y = 2Z and 2X + z = 10. If I take the cross product of
the
second 2 planes that would give me a vector parallel to the equation
that
I want to find, but I need a normal vector. What to do?

4.) Find an equation of the plane that passes through the points
P(1,0,-1), Q(2,1,0) and is parallel to the line of intersection of the
planes x+y+z = 5 and 3x -y = 4.

5.) Prove that the lines x -1 = 1/2(y+1) = z-2 and x-2 = 1/3(y-2) =
1/2(z-4) intersect. Find an equation of the only plane that contains
them
both.

Sorry for so many problems. But any help would be great! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at L2. Are you sure you've got the right direction vector?

okay, so it's <-9. -6. 12> Does it make a difference though?

oh nm

oh nevermind... that was a stupid question. I see it now. Got any suggestions on the other problems? :)

You get -3/2 when you divide corresponding coordinates, any corresponding coordinates.

1. What are lines and planes in space?

Lines and planes in space are geometric concepts used to describe the position and direction of objects in three-dimensional space. A line is a one-dimensional figure that extends infinitely in both directions and has no width or thickness. A plane is a two-dimensional figure that extends infinitely in all directions and has no thickness.

2. How are lines and planes defined in space?

Lines in space are defined by two points or by a point and a direction. Planes in space are defined by three points that are not collinear, or by a point and two intersecting lines.

3. What is the difference between a line and a line segment?

A line extends infinitely in both directions, while a line segment has a defined starting and ending point. A line can be thought of as a "ray" that goes on forever, while a line segment has a specific length.

4. How are lines and planes represented in equations?

In two-dimensional space, lines are often represented using the slope-intercept form, y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. In three-dimensional space, lines can be represented using parametric equations, x = x0 + at, y = y0 + bt, z = z0 + ct, where (x0, y0, z0) is a point on the line and (a, b, c) is the direction vector. Planes in space can be represented using the general form, ax + by + cz + d = 0, where (a, b, c) is the normal vector to the plane and d is the distance from the origin.

5. How are lines and planes used in real-world applications?

Lines and planes in space have many practical applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. For example, lines and planes are used in 3D modeling and computer graphics to create realistic representations of objects and environments. In physics, they are used to describe the motion and interactions of objects in three-dimensional space. In architecture, they are used to create accurate blueprints and designs for buildings and structures.