Help with a Helmholtz-like equation

• Thread starter DrJekyll
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is that I don't know how to find the solution to a problem that is described as follows: (\partial_x^2-K^2)^2 G(\vec{x},\vec{x}')=\delta(\vec{x}'-\vec{x}) where K is a scalar and x is three dimensional. I attempted to solve the problem by applying (\partial_x^2-K^2)^2 to my proposed solution and then solving for A and B, but this got a bit tricky because I started getting derivatives of the delta function. However, I did come up with a solution that is as follows:
DrJekyll
I am trying to find the solution to a problem defined as follows:

[tex]
(\partial_x^2-K^2)^2 G(\vec{x},\vec{x}')=\delta(\vec{x}'-\vec{x})
[/tex]

where K is simply a constant and x is three dimensional.

[tex]
A \left[ e^{-K(\vec{x}-\vec{x}')}H(\vec{x}-\vec{x}') + e^{K(\vec{x}-\vec{x}')}H(\vec{x}'-\vec{x}) \right]
+ B \left[ (\vec{x}-\vec{x}') e^{-K(\vec{x}-\vec{x}')}H(\vec{x}-\vec{x}') + (\vec{x}'-\vec{x}) e^{K(\vec{x}-\vec{x}')}H(\vec{x}'-\vec{x}) \right]
[/tex]
Here, H is the step function.

and I am trying to find A and B such that the first equation is satisfied. Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed?

My initial guess was to apply [tex] (\partial_x^2-K^2)^2 [/tex] to my proposed solution and then solve for A and B. This gets a bit tricky since once I start taking derivatives I get derivatives of the delta function.

Physics news on Phys.org
DrJekyll said:
[tex]
(\partial_x^2-K^2)^2 G(\vec{x},\vec{x}')=\delta(\vec{x}'-\vec{x})
[/tex]
Hmm, I have never had to deal with problem like that. It seems to me a nonlinear operator.

DrJekyll said:
This gets a bit tricky since once I start taking derivatives I get derivatives of the delta function.

But I frequently encountered derivatives of the delta function. I would integrate both sides such that the derivatives of the Dirac Delta is part of the integrand. and then

[tex]\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}\delta^{'}(t)f(t)dt=-f^{'}(t)[/tex]

Why do you think it's nonlinear?

It's actually linear, I mean we have a fourth order PDE:

[tex](\partial_x^2-K^2)^2= \partial_x^4 -2\partial_x^2 K^2 +K^4[/tex]
remember that K is a scalar operator and thus it commutes with any other operator.

As for the question itself, I guess you know the recipe for finding Green function,
Do I need to repeat it? (cause I myself kinda keep forgetting).

I'm no good with Green's functions, hence the post. However I did come up with a solution:

First, I know the solution to
[tex]
(\partial_x^2 - K^2)G(x,x') = F(x)
[/tex]
is
[tex]
-\int dx' F(x') \frac{e^{-K |x-x'|}}{2 K}
[/tex]

So we just need to look for the function that produces -1/2K times the exponentials and step functions when operated on by the above.

Turns out that this produces [tex] A = \frac{1}{4K^3} [/tex] and [tex] B=\frac{1}{4K^2}[/tex]

Maple spat this answer out earlier, but it is hard to trust maple unless you already know the answer.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Why do you think it's nonlinear?

It's actually linear, I mean we have a fourth order PDE:

[tex](\partial_x^2-K^2)^2= \partial_x^4 -2\partial_x^2 K^2 +K^4[/tex]

Do you mean [tex](\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial x^{2}})^{2}=\frac{\partial^{4}}{\partial x^{4}}[/tex]?

Yes.
[tex](\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial x^{2}})^2=(\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2})(\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2})[/tex].

Think of it as multiplication of operators.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Yes.
[tex](\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial x^{2}})^2=(\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2})(\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2})[/tex].

Think of it as multiplication of operators.

Ok, Thanks. I thought it was the power of the second partial derivative.

1. What is a Helmholtz-like equation?

A Helmholtz-like equation is a partial differential equation that describes the propagation of waves in a medium with a constant speed of sound. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model various phenomena such as sound, light, and electromagnetic waves.

2. How is a Helmholtz-like equation different from a regular Helmholtz equation?

A Helmholtz-like equation is a generalized form of the regular Helmholtz equation, which includes additional terms to account for non-uniform speed of sound in the medium. It is typically used when the medium through which the wave is propagating has varying properties.

3. What are some applications of the Helmholtz-like equation?

The Helmholtz-like equation has a wide range of applications in various fields such as acoustics, optics, and electromagnetics. It is used to model the behavior of waves in different mediums, such as sound waves in the atmosphere, light waves in optical fibers, and electromagnetic waves in radio communication.

4. How is the Helmholtz-like equation solved?

The Helmholtz-like equation can be solved using various numerical methods, such as finite difference, finite element, and boundary element methods. These methods discretize the equation and solve it iteratively to approximate the solution.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Helmholtz-like equation?

One limitation of the Helmholtz-like equation is that it assumes a linear relationship between the wave properties and the medium. This may not always hold true in real-world situations, leading to inaccurate solutions. Additionally, the equation can become computationally expensive to solve for complex or large-scale problems.